• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP lag after desktop appears

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

After WinXP has opened the desktop, I get a lag of about a minute before I can do anything. After the "dead period" things operate as normal. Task Master shows nothing but idle going on yet the OS and CPU are clearly occuppied with something. This has started in the last 7 to 10 days and wasn't occuring previously. Have cleared the registry. Haven't installed new software.

Any suggestions how to figure out what is causing the delay?

Thanks! :cool:

I agree with Skiing Squirrel. Download SpyBot and AdAware 6 and run them on your computer to check for any spy/adware that might be running when you start up.

thalzaar24 said:
I agree with Skiing Squirrel. Download SpyBot and AdAware 6 and run them on your computer to check for any spy/adware that might be running when you start up.

Ya already did that, both are clear. Also ran Housecall for virsus and nothing there either.

Were is diskcheck?

Ive just went through this problem and it drove me insane.
Come to find out it was something as simple as a bad Ide cable.
I sent a motherboard back out of frustration and Installed windows every which way. The problem kept on. Changed the cable and was like new. Sometimes its the simplest things that burn you!

I found it, thanks for taking the time to reply folks. Problem was a service that was hanging on startup and finally timing out.

Be :cool:

well dont stop there tell us what the service was:D Mine is doing the same thing and i just reformated all drives and installed xp again, and its still doing it.

Back