• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Abit better than Asus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saulin

Hi peeps my Asus P4C800 Deluxe just died :(

Well it kinna works. But it makes big pauses when running anything and then continues.

For example if I'm listening to some MP3s. Winamp will hang for 20 secs and then continue and after 30 secs will do it again.

At first I thought it was my power supply but the PS is giving more than enough power. I also did try a different PS and no luck.

Then I switched sound cards and the same thing. I run my system at default speed and voltages and no luck. In fact with the default voltages it hangs even faster. Even when I'm in the bios.

So in other words this Mob is history. I have contacted Asus through e-mail and see how do I go about sending the board for replacement. However I think this would take 6-8 weeks. So fu*c it I'll just get a new board and when I get a replacement I'll just keep it in case my bro goes from AMD to Intel in the future and he needs a board.

Now I'm asking if Abit is better because the Abit mob forum has more posts. So either Abit is more popular or it has more problems.

What is the best Abit overclocker board?

Or any other brand you know that is the best for overclocking.

Does Epox have a nice Intel mob? Because they make the best overclockers boards for AMD.

I need a board for my P4 3.0C with all the good settings for memory/AGP/PCI/CPU

I wasn't too pleased with the Asus P4C800 Deluxe. It didn't have some memory options that my old Abit and my old Epox boards had. Also no setting to switch AGP from 8x to 4x. It did have nice voltages settings though. Plus I could overclock AGP/PCI, memory, FSB separately.

Well, i don't think one can actually be better than the other, all have different qualities. But I would personally go for an Abit Ic7 or Ic7 Max3 (c'mon, active cooling on the fets just looks good :p) for overclocking a canterwood cpu.

Or if you have the money, an ic7-G with onboard lan ^_^

But then again, this is just my personal opinion

that ic7-G looks pretty sweet...

Just like the board I need. I was looking at some Epox Intel board but is not as good. In fact Epox hasn't really made kick *** overclockers boards for the P4 as they have for AMD.

so I guess I will go for the ic7-G. Is like $300CAD with tax

yikes. What I paid for my Asus P4C800 DLX.

****es me off when stuff breaks down after the store warranty is up. This freaking Asus board is only 6 weeks old. I will RMA it though. I'll have it there for when is needed.

Both my brothers have AMD boards but they will upgrade to Intel I know.

Perhaps...?

Some trouble shooting is in order, rather than a new mobo, obviously it 'works'. Take it easy, you seem to be trouble-shooting from the bottom up....Do the easy stuff first...

The 1st, is something software orientated, that can't be found by the OS. {Drivers} & you sure bumped enough big items, that this could be a good part of the problem

The next most common cause for slow access is a corrupted Operating System -Did you reformat {before considering throwing it out}.

The 3rd most common cause is the BIOS settings got messed up, did you check that out yet? Course that would be #1 check, for this problem as it's the quickest.

The 4th is a bad memory chip.....Try another chip, or check the current chip out.

Last & 1st -Cleanup ~ Defrag & check for trojans. Try Adaware & update prior to acrually running it {spyware} Or/ Spybot.

The mobo does not seem like the problem......Or are you just looking for an excuse to change to another mobo...

Cheers

Last edited:
Dude now that you mention it. I haven't swap the memory...

However if swapping the memory doesn't help is aviously the mob.

I'm not computer newbie!!!

I updated the bios, resinstalled sound drivers, video drivers, etc...

swapped video card, sound card. The Windows XP install is actually only a few days old.

I booted with the default bios settings. Nothing overclocked and it lasted 5-10 secs before it did that big pause freezing the PC.

And it even did it in the bios. For example when I went into the bios to disable RAID since I'm not using RAID. Then when I chosed save and exit. It froze there for like 15 secs.

So I will try just one stick of RAM or just the RAM on my brother's PC.

If it ain't the RAM it has to be the board. Is not the power supply either.

Also this is how it all started.

I left the PC on for hrs with Winamp playing. After 1.5hrs or so my songs started to freeze while playing and then continue after 20-30 secs.

That started to happen every few songs. But now I run winamp for 10 secs and it happens. Actually now after running anything for a few seconds.

Note that all my temps where nice and cool.

Motherboard temp probably 16-20C
CPU temp 18-25C
Video card temp 18-28C

So I'm not sure how it could have happened.

The only thing I can think of is that the PCI/AGP/IDE bus speeds were too high.

40/80

I will check the RAM. If it is the RAM then I guess I should have lifetime warranty on it. If it is the Mob then I guess I'll just order that Abit mob.

Oh yeah only a few days ago one of my HD crashed my PC and it got bad sectors now. I will take it for an exchange. This is another thing that makes me thing the PCI/AGP/IDE bus speeds were too high.

on abit boards i agree their nice but their temperature sensors are whack.. at least on intel boards.. so if that is a big thing for you i would probably get something else. i just ordered compunurse myself

max

Just ordered the IC7-G...

This fuc**ng Asus mob really screwed me.

1 - 80GB 8MB cache HD with bad sectors
and my FX 5900U now only beeps when the CMOS stuff is supposed to appear on the screen.

Before that it gave me garble graphics and when it loaded windows it said it wasn't getting enough power for the video card. But the power connector was connected to the video card.

I think it got burned.

Damn it... Now I gotta RMA the video card too.

And about the mob now I'm sure is the board that is very screwed.

I tried just 1 stick of RAM at a time and the PC failed to post when both of them were in Ram slot1. On slot 2 the PC booted to windows but both failed to run applications for long. Again the computer would freeze for like 50 secs now.

And now I'm using the RAM on my brother's PC and is even clocked at 450MHz and running everything smooth. No problems whatsoever.

Which makes me wonder if this motherboard was screwed to begin with because on the P4C800 Dlx I was never able to get the RAM stable at 400+Mhz when the RAM is rated PC-3500 (433Mhz)

Both sticks of RAM seem to be fine. It has to be the motherboard.

This really sucks cause I moded the video card and it had crazy glue holding 2 fans. I took off the crazy glue but now the heatsink has to be painted black again lol.

Oh well I should be able to get the HD and Mob replaced no problem. About the video card I guess I will try to make it look original again and try to RMA it.

saulin said:
Dude now that you mention it. I haven't swap the memory...

However if swapping the memory doesn't help is aviously the mob.

I'm not computer newbie!!!

I hope I didn't come across that way, Simply put most plle would not be here without a clue or 2..sorry. Just the way the 1st post read...Ok.

Dang, wot bad luck....

Just thought that perhaps the post may jump start an idea for you, It's happened for me on one or two occassions.

I'm going to seriously consider the ABIT IS7, just have to figure out which NIC it will have-{This apparently was an issue}, though I prefer an add on NIC anyway. The ABIT rep recommended this one from the amdmb forum and it looks ok.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good

jszent

Has there been any news on a BIOS mod for the ABIT, as has been done on the ASUSP4P800; with respect to PAT?

Have to admit though, on a personal level I like a mobo stripped down, no firewire, RAID or anything else that's redundant {CNR}~Leaves a lot of the time for FreeWay riding, instead of street dodging. That's why the IS7 tweaked an interest.

Do see some mean~machines getting good results though, like you; got over that 3.5 hump too. How was that mogul ;)

Time for a new project~soon

Cheers

Whole new game in Town!

I guess everyone is holding their breath for the 'Famed' max3?

What I don't like is the "I invented the internet" concept...give us all a break~ABIT has a history, but the 'New' & improved model is no break through technology!

Max3 may be great & that's coOl, but it's not the end of the road in mobo's.

Cheers

Errr.. I would say that its up to the buyers preference.. just like AMD or Intel.. none of this crap "This is better than that" ..

Just as my personal preference is Abit, i've had an Asus board as well.. both of them worked flawlessly :)

i have owned 3 Asus motherboards and now have retired them all.Abit really does leave all the other boards behind thats why I 'm running 2 rigs with Abit motherboards.........I guess you know which I perfer............cheers

Abit

Well, I was hunting around & Newegg should have some in by Wed. Kinda high $ though.

Cheers

Back