• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800np... defective, don't trust mwave, or am I a moron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GameFAQsRolo

Official Cool Guy
Commerce, Los Angeles County, California, USA
I'm building a system for my friend and he wants it for gaming. He decided on the 9800np from mwave. Here's the errors:
9800nperror01.jpg
9800nperror02.jpg
9800nperror03.jpg
Mwave doesn't really list specifics on the card, but as far as I can tell it's an ATi Radeon 9800np SE.

Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Tested on his [pending]system from a clean install of XP w/sp1. Installed motherboard drivers and then all windows updates. Last, tried installing Cat 3.6 and that's when I get those errors mentioned above. Tried Cat 3.5 and 3.4 and got the same error.
2. Reformatted and tried advice from this thread where someone else had the same problem. Still didn't work. (somehwre in this step I tried installing the drivers with dx8.1 instead of updating to 9.0b)
3. Installed Omegas and those installed w/o a problem, but system will not run 3d apps, system just freezes.
*****At this point I'm assuming it's the card*******
4. I stick the card in my main system with the Cat 3.6 already installed(9100, woohoo). Before booting up I'm thinking there's no way the card can still be an unknown device, but after booting... still an unknown.
5. Attempted to re-install drivers on my main system, but instead grabbed the 9800np and threw it against the wall [ummm... no].

So now I'm :mad: , but can't really do much about it until my friend comes over tomorrow. The card is definitely getting returned and he'll probably go with the 9700np instead.

Since I assume the card is defective, this post mostly serves as a warning to stay away from the $255 deal on the 9800np at mwave.

Unless I'm a complete moron and am missing a very important step in all of this. (please, no pointing out the usual obvious solutions: safe mode, cables plugged in properly, strong power supply, install new drivers over old, blah blah blah ;) )

Note: Drivers from CD install perfectly, but also do not run 3d apps.

Final Note: Post was also a way for me to vent my frustration.

Truly and Seriously Final Note: I really wanted this card to work because I was/am planning on picking it up for myself. As long as just this card is defective, a functioning one would be $255 for 2.8ns Hynix. I think it's a good deal.

Try installing the drivers off of the CD and then manually updating to the latest Cats. I've had some issues with my ATi cards installing drivers. They've given the exact same error.

it happaned to me, i then installed the dafult drivers form winxp, then directx, then the cats and it worked

Yeah, don't think that there is any need to blame the reseller if you just had the misfortune to get a bad card. Sometimes cards are bad, and unless the vendor knowingly sells you a bad card or refuses to rma it then it isn't like they are at fault.

Yea, I tried manually installing the drivers and it freezes when loading 3d textures.

I know, I didn't mean to pick on mwave, I was just frustrated;) . [although newegg has knowingly sold defective products. it just takes them a few RMAs to realize they should pull it off their site]

i had the same prob here is the fix you need to set the memory usage to programs in the Perfomance options under advanced !

Right click my computer-Properties-Advanced-click the settings tab in performance-then advanced and select programs in memory usage , i had to do it in safe mode and THEN reinstaled my drivers and WAHLA ! works

vkvenom said:
...set the memory usage to programs in the Perfomance options under advanced !

Ok, booooo. This doesn't sound like it's gonna work. Late last night when I was half asleep it sounded good, but now after a good night's rest... not so much.

The setting is already set to Programs. Did you mean to change it to System Cache? I was hoping this was going to be one of those oddball fixes that work, but I've lost that hope. Maybe I'll try it anyway(on system cache), but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. You'll still get a gift if it works!;)

Note: I already called mwave tech support and they advised to just go ahead with the RMA. I think I'm going to go do it at Will Call on Saturday, so I have a few days to work with still.

I tried out the advanced memory settings method and it didn't work, sorry, no gift for you.

After trying out the card one last time, I packed it up and got it ready for a 30 minute drive. Went to mwave in Walnut with my RMA # and in 30 minutes I had a replacement in my hands. This time, it's the 9800np NON-SE. The SE model had a black heatsink and this one has the standard silver heatsink. Still appears to be an ATi card and not powered by.

I'm not going to get a chance to test it or look at the specifics of it, but I'm just happy I made it home after a long day(only to get ready to leave in about 15 minutes).

Back