• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please recommend Best 56 K and V. 92 Modems!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadien

Registered
I don't want to overspend but want to get any good modem out there, Salesman reccomended Intel is it good or I can get something else better for bit more money, I'm looking for V.92 modem!!!

I had a intel 56k V.92 modem had nothing but problems with it I got a cendyne 56k V.92 no problems at all works great got it at office max for 10.00 but free after rebate I think you should look around for a good cheap modem I have had 4 modems and didnt see much differnce between them except the intel witch never ran right never gave me the right kbps

anything with an Intel Chipset would be the way to go. Brand-wise many people swear by U.S. Robotics, but in my opinion they are overpriced.

i've had great luck with this encore modem, from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=25-180-001&depa=1

bought 1 lot of 20, and have 6 or so left, all the rest went into PC's for customers, or replacements for ones that got hit by lightning. they run great, and i've had no problems with disconnecting, slow connect rates, or any of the other problems associated with less-than-stellar modem chipsets.

stay the hell away from conextant chipsets.. *shudder*

tinman5567 said:
I had a intel 56k V.92 modem had nothing but problems with it I got a cendyne 56k V.92 no problems at all works great got it at office max for 10.00 but free after rebate I think you should look around for a good cheap modem I have had 4 modems and didnt see much differnce between them except the intel witch never ran right never gave me the right kbps

that was most likely a monitoring error within windows. intel chipsets are THE most reliable, fast, hassle free chipsets you can get on a modem, at least in my experience.

what sort of issues were you having with it?

just put the intel back in it is faster.Canadien go by mr chambers post I still got the same problem but problem just might be a soft ware problem

You may be able to get a US Robotics v.90 external cheap, and if its model number 5686-03 there's a free v.92 upgrade for it, but no luck with an upgrade if it's a 5686-00.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

II've had good luck with 3Com modems and US Robotics (are they the same company now?) That's all I ever put in machines that I build. Most of the newer modems also let you flash the bios for future upgrades as well.

Stick with the most common brands. It's not always "a modem is a modem, is a modem". I've used cheep modems before, I've seen the difference..

Are you not able to get/afford broadband in your area?

You also have a choice between a hardware vs software modem.
The software modem is a bit cheaper but also uses cpu cycles to do it's job, whereas the hardware modem has an onboard controller to do its own work while leaving the cpu to do other things, they are a bit more expensive. You don't mention what kind of machine this modems going into, but if its an older one you might think about going the hardware route. I swapped out a winmodem for a US Robotics hardware modem on my PII 450 (back in the old 56K days hehheh) and there was a noticable difference, not earth shaking, but certainly worth the extra $$$$. I'm guessing if you have 1G+ of processing power either route would be almost as good. :) But if you can afford it go hardware, you won't regret it IMHO.

II've had good luck with 3Com modems and US Robotics (are they the same company now?) That's all I ever put in machines that I build.

Second that....

Good Luck
elec.tron

I used a 3com modem in the past then got a new computer with a US Robotics one. Both were very quality, don't have anything bad to say about neither.

3Com sold off their US Robotics division, at something like 80% less than what they originally paid for it.

Hi,

I've had success with ZOOM modems. In my priority list, when buying a modem :

1. I don't want soft modems.
2. I rather prefer *external* modems with surge protection (since I burned that old internal modem due to a thunderstorm), USB or serial, buy serial if you want compatibility with *anything*, old or new.
3. Good thing to have : upgradeable firmware
4. Reliable manufacturer (read *known*)
5. And for last, small size. Yo don't need a modem as big as a PC

Regards
FTC

I used to use expensive U.S. Robotics modems, but after having 2 break on me, I bought a cheapie Encore Modem at Newegg. I think I paid like $12 for it at the time. It worked great.
I only used it a little while, because I upgraded to DSL. So, I can't really say how long they last. I still have it in my machine, just in case something happens with my DSL and I need Dial Up.

For me ,USRobotics Courier (older version) is the king. Especially on low-quality analog lines - it beats any other one in matters of stability. However, I don't think there are THAT crappy analog lines in USA :)

Anyway, there are custom-made flashes for USRs that optimize them for good digital lines and make them blazing fast and super-stable. The one I use at home easily holds a line for 48 hours (I've got a dedicated line for Internet), and I'm sure it would hold more (my ISP resets the session after 48 hours).

Bengan said:
get adsl :O

obviously, he cannot get DSL, either due to financial restraints or because its not available in his area. most people still do access the internet via dial-up. when someone asks what modem he should get, why does someone ALWAYS have to say "just get DSL, just get cable, etc"?

i agree with FTC and EmTSea19. before i switched over to using Encore modems (intel chipsets), i used Zoom, and had great results with those also, however, newegg stopped carrying them, and so i was forced to switch to Encore. was a great thing, because they were just as good, if not better, and cost less.

just remember, the important thing here is not necessarily the brand, but rather the chipset of the modem. if possible you want to go with an Intel, as they're reliable, inexpensive, and good quality chipsets.

as i said before, you should be generally satisfied with most modems, as long as you stay away from ANYTHING that uses a conextant or rockwell chipset..

John

Back