• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange problem in Rise of Nations game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I found a strange problem when playing a Rise of Nations network game at a small LAN party I setup a few days ago. I think I know the problem but not sure. I have a Radeon 7200 (small overclock to AGP bus @ 35) 32 meg card. and with all settings/displays set to the lowest settings the game starts to hang about 30 minuts into a 5 player game (3 human, 2 omputer). the computer slows down and will lag out everyone else. saying "waiting for other player" is this the video card? a glitch in the game itself? I think its vid but I dunno.. little info below:

My rig:
Radeon 7200 32MB
Athlon XP 1700 @ 2100
1024 PC2700 RAM
10/100 Ethernet on Full duplex 8 port switch (only 3 comps connected)

other comps had P4 3.06 and Athlon XP 2100
one with a Radeon 8500 128MB and GForce MX4xx something... so then it is my card? ordering a 9200 today so hopefully it will fix it (need a new card for Half-Life 2 anyways :D )

I doubt it's your video card. Also I'm pretty sure the 9200 isn't that woopie. Sounds like a bug or some kind of glitch with your system.

Rise of Nations is a notoriously buggy game ... i play it alot at our Internet cafe ... that happens all the time ... me thinks .. even though people disagree with this term, i think it has bad coding creating memory leaks.. the only time its never messed up in a long game for us was one time 5 of us all played korea..

Inositle said:
I doubt it's your video card. Also I'm pretty sure the 9200 isn't that woopie. Sounds like a bug or some kind of glitch with your system.

im cheap on most things just needed a card with more ram and faster and got a good deal on it... but its still better than wha tI got now.

*edit* the other thing is it ONLY does it on my computer... we all have the same install of the game and it only hangs and causes problems on my computer...

I'm getting a few weird problems with this game myself. They seem to improve when I kill applications that I like to run in the background (folding@home, for example). Still, I got a corrupted save game today.

BTW, the game is pretty awesome. Maybe Microsoft will patch it again :rolleyes:

It's not just you. It affects everyone no matter what card or drivers they use. RoN just freezes after a certain duration every time. Sometimes I go 1 hour; sometimes 3 hours. Whether I use the Parhelia on the nF2, the 9500Pro on a SiS, or a GF4 4600 on the MPX. Be it air or water cooling. That's the only game that has this problem.

HotKoala said:
It's not just you. It affects everyone no matter what card or drivers they use. RoN just freezes after a certain duration every time. Sometimes I go 1 hour; sometimes 3 hours. Whether I use the Parhelia on the nF2, the 9500Pro on a SiS, or a GF4 4600 on the MPX. Be it air or water cooling. That's the only game that has this problem.

well thats understandable but all three network games it was only me that had problems.. (i.e. after I resigned the game all was fine again)

and yes it is an awsome game, hope microsoft patches it as well

Don't worry, play more often and the others will lag out first=)

I've been playing it since it came out. Almost every single one of my online or LAN games has someone freezing out if it's not a short game. Sometimes it'll let us play for 3 hours, sometimes it'll die after an hour.

Back