• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU getting cooler and cooler...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barnstormer

Dunno why this is happening, but my cpu has been getting cooler and cooler over the last few weeks. I havent changed anything about the system lately, and the ambient stays the same all the time in the room, but the load temp has dropped about a degree every couple of days.
It used to run about 50-51 at load (F@H 24/7)
slowly dropped to now only about 46 at load.
Ideas?
all temps reported by speedfan

Are you using Arctic Silver paste? That takes like a week to "set" and load temps will drop slightly.

it will also take time for any tim to settle this is normal just the burn in time thats all, also try mbm 5 thats a good temp moniter

I am using the stock AMD heatsink and the goop that came with it AFAIK. I got the system used and all I have done is lapped the HS about a month ago. The previous owner had used so much paste that after I lapped the HS there was still so much on top of the die and all over the chip that I had plenty to re-install the HS using the directions on the Arctic Silver website

(edit)
the system was obviously a year or so old when I got it, so I think it was all the way burned in already.

yes but if you've lapped the heat sink u still had to put some tim between the cpu and heat sink, it usally take about 30 - 50 hrs for the tim to burn in, if youve done this with in that last week you should be okay. if it has been over that then make sure ur ambient room tempature is staying about the same ambient room temp has alot to do with the cpu

Also might want to try mbm 5

there was loads of the goop all over the top of the chip (around the die). There was probably 10x the amount reccomended by the Arctic silver website. I just removed the HS, cleaned and lapped it, scraped up a bunch of the goop off the chip, cleaned the chip, re-applied a small amount (per ASIII site) and re-installed the HS. That alone dropped temps by 3-5c.
CPU started getting cooler about 2 weeks (336hrs CPU time F@H 24/7) later

Stock AMD HSF? I dont remember, but do those have copper in them? Copper is a soft metal that will start to mold to the top of your CPU die, causing a really nice thermal interface.

No copper in my HS, all aluminum. I am just assuming that it is the stock AMD retail unit, as there are no markings and it is pretty plain. Doesnt cool very well, either.
Gonna go to an SK-7 or the like once the new MB goes in and I can OC a bit better.

mine just get warmer after some time,.when the HS get stuffed with dust. I really should get this room cat free and also start vacuuming more...

It's probably the fact that he used "used" TIM. the little bit of silicone or other lube in it is supposed to help it settle faster, but since he "scraped up" what he used, im guessing it took longer to settle due to the lack od silicone or whatever in the TIM.

Back