• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Definite guidance on Coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Boywonder said:
Flaming is NOT ALLOWED! Disagree with someone based upon fact and not insults... I see another post like this out of you and your short time here will come to an abrupt end, Thanks!

SpeeDj

You better watch how you talk to people around here NEWBIE, you'd know that if you'd been a member for MORE THAN 4 DAYS. nikhsub1 is VERY well respected in these forums & I'm sure knows way more than you dude. Good luck getting any help from ANYBODY if you're gonna trash a senior member.

Last edited:
the one thing you forgot is that anything that is de ionized and makes contact with something ionized such as metal will seek to balance which means pulling ions from the metal. this is most evident in aluminum that has small anodized layers as after a while you can physicaly see the effect

Deionized water is exactly that - water that has essentially been stripped of all of its ions. Water likes to be balanced in its natural state, however, and this means that it adds ions to itself to achieve that goal. Therefore, deionized water grabs ions from everything it touches that can be dissolved or absorbed. It is about a close as you can get to a Universal Solvent. In your case, it will extract metals from all of the brass fittings you have and all of the copper blocks as well... you get the idea.

Tical said:

You better watch how you talk to people around here NEWBIE, you'd know that if you'd been a member for MORE THAN 4 DAYS. nikhsub1 is VERY well respected in these forums & I'm sure knows way more than you dude. Good luck getting any help from ANYBODY if you're gonna trash a senior member.

I don't think that this is the way to deal with it. True, I am a little more inclined to belive nikhsub1 without some good backup from boywonder, esp since there is not 5th grade chem., at least not that I have heard of ;) But just becuase someone is a senior member doesn't mean that they are always right, and just because someone has only been a member for 4 days doesn't mean they can't be just as correct, if not more so than a member who has been around since the beggining. I don't think that calling nikhsub1 an idiot was nessesary and flaming is not tolerated but I don't think your reaction to what he said is good, or even acceptable IMO, its just too stuck up.

AND

Pointing out that someone is a newbie based on how long they have been a member of a certain forum is a little ignorant.

Bald Shadow said:
Deionized water is exactly that - water that has essentially been stripped of all of its ions. Water likes to be balanced in its natural state, however, and this means that it adds ions to itself to achieve that goal. Therefore, deionized water grabs ions from everything it touches that can be dissolved or absorbed. It is about a close as you can get to a Universal Solvent. In your case, it will extract metals from all of the brass fittings you have and all of the copper blocks as well... you get the idea.
Exactly. How am I an idiot Boywonder? DI water is very 'hungry', far more so than distilled, this is a fact. As to how much damage DI watar may or may not do is unknown, I definately would not use it in my system, especially with any mixed metals.

First of all I'd appreciate not being called ignorant based on a single statement. Maybe I reacted more emotionally than I should have after reading what was posted about nikhsub1. I did not mean to say that 1 person is right or wrong based on the amount of time they have been around the forum, only that someone who calls a member of these forums an idiot after not being a member here for very long & getting to know how most members treat each other is not the best way to make friends. I meant no disrespect to anyone, just sticking up for nikhsub1 as he's helped me several times in the past.

Distilled water is not as “aggressive” as deionized water, (DI water tends to be aggressive toward some metals) and it is essentially balanced. It still has very little ions in it, but it is less aggressive than deionized water and is much less corrosive to most metallic internal parts.

Wow, I didn't know this would turn into such an exothermic topic! Thanks very much everyone for sharing your experiences...

I guess I was hoping that there was an equivalent to BillA in the coolant debate who had tried multiple types of solutions in a controlled experiement. Has anything like this been done? I realize it's probably very hard due to time frames involved in looking for corrosion and such.

A couple questions to followup. It seems like people like distilled water and anti-freeze. What's the difference between water wetter and anti-freeze? Are their particular types of antifreezes that work really well in this application? Will all antifreeze kill organic growth?

Also, do I have a dissimilar metals problem if I use a block like the TC-4 which is copper on the bottom and aluminum on the top? It would seem that these materials are in direct contact and so would be at the same potential, but if these elements were seperated by only the water, then the water would end up conducting current and fostering galvanic corrosion. Or am I all wet here?

Thanks very much - this is all very helpful!

Mike

Sorry guys, I formally appoligize. I dunno what I was thinking. Sorry Nikhsub1. You're prolly right. No one would want to go to my school. It was too ghetto. It sucked

PS - I'm no flamer :mad:

Tical said:
First of all I'd appreciate not being called ignorant based on a single statement. Maybe I reacted more emotionally than I should have after reading what was posted about nikhsub1. I did not mean to say that 1 person is right or wrong based on the amount of time they have been around the forum, only that someone who calls a member of these forums an idiot after not being a member here for very long & getting to know how most members treat each other is not the best way to make friends. I meant no disrespect to anyone, just sticking up for nikhsub1 as he's helped me several times in the past.

Sorry, I wasn't calling you ignorant though, just saying you were acting ignorant, there is a difference:D at least in court...

lol

No really no hard feelings, it wasn't intended as a personal attack, I just don't want new members to think that just because somone is a senior they are automaticly supreme in all ways to everyone else, and that "newbs" aren't welcome. Though I do, and have, think that in this case nikhsub1 is right.

:D

Last edited:
i think maybe u're getting this wrong... the amount of corrosion that deionized water does is really minimal... e.g. throw copper powder into an ocean of deionized water and the copper would most likely not lose any real mass.... the mettalic bonds are stronger in a pure or alloy metal than the corrosive powers of ions deffusing into a less saturated medium... etc.... (e.g. they'll pull ions out of a solution of stuff, not not off of metal pipes and so on)

meaning: throw a not so stable non-balanced compound like a nonmetalic weak bond (like sulphur nitrate with more sulphur than nitrate) into some deionized water, and maybe less than a million-th of a percent of the unbalanced part of the solution would defuse into the water and then it becomes saturated and is actually more stable than say distilled water... the extra amounts of the stuff would simply precipatate out... (or in other words it'd reach equalibrium and simply become not corrosive and wil actually reject more ions coming in) e.g. take a glass of iced/cold water and dump sugar into it... keep doing this... after a while you'll see that it will NOT absorb any more sugar and the addtional sugar WILL precipatate out...

meaning: throw lots of sugar into some water and after a while, you'll see POWERED SUGAR on the bottom of the water...

so really its pointless to worry about **** like that, cause the oxygen in the water is a lot more corrosive than a few ions (or the lack thereof) ...e.g. oxygen makes stuff RUST...

so quit worrying about stuff like that and go work out or something...

edit: alluminum does ionize water, as the alluminum oxide that forms over the outside of all pure alluminum will get broken down and alluminum ions will defuse into the water... ANY WATER, not just de-ionized water... the oxide layer of alluminum that forms as a pretective shell is UNSTABLE... and its TOXIC...

DON'T DRINK THAT WATER, ADD ANTIFREEZE,... and the antifreeze should prevent a rather large portion of the alluminum from defusing and for the small portion of it that does diffuse the antifreeze should be able to absorb and therefore not damage ur copper... e.g. the glycol would eat any "free" ions there are....

Last edited:
and also you'll definitely be galvanizing stuff if there's a current in that water/coolant u're running it through.... galvanizing will break down the surface oxide layer much faster than if you simply left them molecules alone or something.... and it'll start to eat through the mettalic bonds also until the other weaker metal/substance/conductive whatever is saturated (plated so full that theres no more metal to plate, in which case then it'll stop)...

So WaterWetter is meant to prevent corrosion? Why would you need waterwetter and antifreeze as nikhsub1 suggested?? Just antifreeze should be ok shouldn't it? Especially if it kills algae and other friendly "critters".
I think almost all have the corrosion inhibitor (for aluminum blocks/radiators) so the waterwetter would be unneeded, right?

Back