• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Definite guidance on Coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pulling the thread back on track a little here, why does Water Wetter need to be used in conjunction with anti-freeze? How does anti-freeze help the situation at all, as long as you're not running a chiller (where you put it in because you don't want your water freezing).

Also, is anyone here running only anti-freeze with water in their loop? The Water Wetter I'm using is staining my tygon pinkish brown. I'm looking for something that either won't stain the tubing, or if it DOES get stained, at least a better color (like green or blue)

LtBlue14 said:
Pulling the thread back on track a little here, why does Water Wetter need to be used in conjunction with anti-freeze? How does anti-freeze help the situation at all, as long as you're not running a chiller (where you put it in because you don't want your water freezing).

Water Wetter doesn't need to be used with anti-freeze. It is specifically designed to provide the anticorrosive properties of anti-freeze at 5% of the mix, without lowering the thermal transfer capabilities of the coolant as much as anti-freeze does at 50% of the mix.

I've heard of enough long term problems with Water Wetter, that I wouldn't recommend it though. There are other product such as Zerex Racing Super Coolant, Silkolene ProCCA and Hy-Per Lube that are designed for the same purpose as Water Wetter, and which may be better choices.

What long term problems have you heard about? Anything besides staining the tubing such a butt-ugly color?

Anyone know what color Zerex is, or if it stains the tubing?

Here's a quote from BillA in this thread talking about his experience with Water Wetter.

apparently it is the synthetic oil coming out of solution

a beige semi-polymerized 'film' that builds up on the surfaces until it is thick enough, or otherwise disturbed, to slough off

it is not an algae, I had some amount of it in a baggie for over a month and it did not smell or change

it can be broken up into smaller pieces, but apparently will not go back into solution

and this is the 3 time in 2 yrs I've observed this
- but I have a big open system that takes a fair bit of makeup water

With today's small orifice blocks, like White Water and Cascade, there is potential for conceivably catastrophic clogs.

Zerex unfortunately will give you water that is a shade of pink as well.

is dex-cool the same as zerex? if not, could someone post a link to dexcool please? what color is it?

LtBlue14, please read the thread linked in the previous post. it answers your questions exactly. FYI, Dex-Cool is orange.

I just picked up some hyperlube, and it says that it provides excellent corrosion protection with straight water, and the little chart that came with it says that's the highest cooling performance. Should I still use antifreeze with it? Or just with straight distilled water...

Thanks,
mike

aahhh no, not you people again....

"oh cool, i got a .0005 celcius decrease by getting my MAGIC FORMULA TO WORK"

WHO CARES...

i don't think the point is to find out the absolute best period... there proally isn't one... by using LESS of anything it'll proally run COOLER...

so quit with this "hey i got me some quad-o-matic 8k bgf dump in the water for KA-BOOM results"

just use some nice water wetter if you got some, or some red antifreeze if you don't and leave it ALONE....

quit fiddling with it cause sooner or later you're gonna make the thing leak by remounting ur block a million times too much or something...

cause you know why? NONE OF US KNOW... we can't. we don't have the tools. we proally don't have the time either. AND EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT SYSTEM... which makes comparing optimal results of stuff nearly impossible....

e.g. liquid A has better thermal CAPACITY, but liquid B has better VISCOSITY,... so in general with a bigger pump liquid B is better right?

wrong. the dude might be using a swiftech chamber block or something... there, liquid A is better... BY 1 CELCIUS...

and thats supposed to be conclusive? its not either....

the point that the majority of people here especially Cathar are here for is that if you want better results, buy a cascade or a school bus radiator or something... and use something for ur coolant that'll prevent it from rusting/blowing up/imploding/running away/killing everyone you know/toxic/etc....

thats the whole point... cause years ago when everything all started there was this argument... and look, most people and most sites/reviews/guides/everyone mostly uses what,... watter wetter or antifreeze, right?

Back