• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think Pad help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSaddict

My sister's IBM thinkpad died and I found the hard drive to be the problem. I got the new hard drive today and installed it to find the laptop has a power on password. I called my sister and she told me the password but it wouldn't work. I tried it several times and upper and lower case. I tried with and without the number lock. I went to IBM's website to see how to clear it but they wont tell you. They say to bring it to an authorized dealer. The closest place was CompUSA and the guys there had no clue. I have tried removing the battery and the NiCad battery in the ram bay. I am out of options PLEASE HELP. I guess this is what I get for doing something nice for family. If anyone knows how to disable the power on password please let me know, or if you know a way to put the password in that I don't. Thanks in advance!

BTW: its a thinkpad,380z,type 2635-jgu

Ummm, before I tried all that I would double check with your sister and make sure there wasn't a miscommunication of the password. I'm sure it worked for her in the past, and hence, it should work now. She could have just made a mistake and told you the wrong one, so if I were you I would double check... unless you are just trying to get into someone's computer without permission. ;)

I'm sure the password is correct. I bought it for her a year ago and it had the same password then. I bought it at a computer show from a reputable dealer who buys old units from corporations and refurbishes them. I guess I will have to pay an IBM repair guy........which sucks.

Is there a way you can clear the CMOS with a laptop? You might have some luck searching google or IBM.com. :(

I tried to find out at IBM and it doesn't say. I called IBM last night and got the numbers of certified local repair shops. The tech on the phone had no idea how to do it, he said I already tried everything he knows how to do. I will bring it to a shop and if they cant fix it I will throw it out and have to find her a new one.

Back