• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you choose between Tinker/Gromacs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi, I heard (can't remember where, most likely HERE =) ) that AMD CPU's are faster/more efficient for TINKER coded projects. Is there any way to make my F@H client choose only Tinker WU's?

While its true the AMDs are faster at Tinker's, your best bet for the highest production is to go with Gromacs. Add -advmethds -forceasm to your F@H shortcut and you will pick up Gromacs at your next WU. You should make great numbers with the system in your sig. Happy folding.

-Rav

I suggest using -advmethods also. But it is no guarantee that you will get gromacs wu's. Gromacs are available even without using the flag. It really depends on what projects Stanford has available and what assignment server your client connects to.

With the flags your client will request the gromacs units, but not necessarily get them. And while AMD machines are faster than Intel machines at tinkers, an AMD machine will crunch faster on a gromac than a tinker. For all newer machines with SSE, using the gromac code (which uses SSE) is going to be faster.

Sterculus said:
With the flags your client will request the gromacs units, but not necessarily get them.

What the -advmethods tag does is request the LATEST wu's....IF this is a tinker you will get that, if this is a gromac you will get that.

Just a heads up for all of you.

I repeat, the -advmethods tag does not ask for a gromac alls it asks the assignment server is to give you the latest released wu's.

anyone with questions please forward them to my pm box.

thanks

scoob

Sterculus said:
an AMD machine will crunch faster on a gromac than a tinker. For all newer machines with SSE, using the gromac code (which uses SSE) is going to be faster.

ummm tinkers run faster than gromacs, gromacs have higher point values though.

(thats why its called 'tinker' perhaps?)

I do have an idea on how to choose. If you have something like a linux router you could perhaps route all FAH traffic to Stanford's Gromacs servers, as listed on the server stats page. I have no idea if this would work, just a thought.

Axle

axlecrusher said:
I do have an idea on how to choose. If you have something like a linux router you could perhaps route all FAH traffic to Stanford's Gromacs servers, as listed on the server stats page. I have no idea if this would work, just a thought.

Axle

This wouldn't work because when you first connect to stanford you connect through there assignment servers first...After this you are then routed to the whatever server that assignment server says.

I guess you could say that the assignment servers are like the routers of the project, they keep the traffic nice and smooth. :D

scoobs!

scoobiedoo said:

This wouldn't work because when you first connect to stanford you connect through there assignment servers first...After this you are then routed to the whatever server that assignment server says.

I guess you could say that the assignment servers are like the routers of the project, they keep the traffic nice and smooth. :D

scoobs!
I thought it might work like that. Would have been a good idea, but it seems like it would border on cheating.

Axle

Back