• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is is GOOD to Mount 92 MM FAN on the Case Doors Right OVER the Super Orb CPU FAN ?? For extra coolin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_jubei_

Disabled
Is is GOOD to Mount 92 MM FAN on the Case Doors Right OVER the Super Orb CPU FAN ?? For extra coolin

Hi I want to overclock my AMD 1.2 , but Im warried about the heat. So I figured I would Make a hole in the side doors of my Case, right over where the CPU, and CPU FAN are located. I would mount 92 MM FAN that would Blow AIR on the Super Orb FAN, which would also Blow cooled air ( from 92mm fan ) and COOL much FASTER ( I assume ) the Heat sink ,,, Then Right next to the 92 mm FAN , or maybe couble of inches to the side, I would mount another 92 mm FAN that would Blow Warm air OUT of the Case.

What do you guys thing about this SETUP.

I know that Super Orb is not the BEST cooling FAN, But do you thing 92 mm FAN right over the Super Orb, would Do the job, If I would overclock from AMD from 1.2 to 1.4 ?????

Seems like it would help out.... I think you'd be better served by just getting a better HSF, though. However, overclocking is abuot saving money and getting the best out of what you have, so go for it.

SickBoy

You are going to create a lot of heat overclocking that 1.2 I don't think the Orb is up to the task. Go with a Globalwin with the 80mm fan mod cause the delta 60 is just way to loud. I just got a 1.2 266 and am running it at 1440 with a fop38 (with 80mm mod) and max temp so far under full load is 98F, that is if you can trust the sensor on the mobo it has been my experiance that these things are not that accurate and vary from board to board.

i believe the super orb sucks air off the hs , puting a 92 blowing on the orb might decrease its efficiency, i would say you would get better results the other way around ;D

I think ken257 and Kat are correct, the Super Orb is not up to the task of a 1.2 Tbird overclocked. I am using a Vantec 62540D and it cools great, a little loud w/ Delta fan but liveable.
I have a120mm blowing in front panel, a 120mm blowing on video and cpu and a 120mm blowhole sucking out the top. Ambient temp. has not gotten above 20 C.

I've got a Global Win hsf, with an 80mm fan mounted on the side panel blowing directly on it. It helps in my case. Just make sure that the ORB is blowing through the heat sink rather than drawing air out. If it was drawing air, I think that you would end up with a "stalemate" and result in little or no air flow at all.

The Super Orb has 2 Fans. I know that its not the Best CPU cooler But What I like about it is that the Fans Are inside the Heat Sink, Both fans are small and they Blow air toward the CPU. So If I would mount 92 mm Fan Over the Super Orb, I think It would Increase the Performance of the Super Orb, alot . When I read Reviews for the Super ORB, many reviewers said that Overall the design of the Super O is good , BUt becasue THE FANS of Super ORB are small , They don't Cool the Heat sink Enought .

I have Super Orb right now, but I don't want to go and get another CPU fan . (low on cash) I think that Placing 92 mm Fan above the Super Orb , might increase the performance of Super ORb, and it may Finally be a GOOD CPU fan .

There is still question If I can install Super Orb. I tried to install it in my KA266 R mb, and I could not becasue of the Transistors right next to the CPU. I am getting now ASUS A7A266 MB, and hopefully it will fit.

I know that I can't change CPU multipliers right now on A7A, but I hope they will enable this in next BIOS update. For now I will just overclock the RAM to 140 ~ 150 fsb PC2100 ddr .

Hopefully the CPU multiplier In A7A266 will be set to 9 (and won't decrease as the speed of RAM increases), then I don't have to change the CPU multiplier, just increase the FSB speed to 150 ~ 160, and I will be able to RUN CPU at 1350 mhz .

When I set everything up , I will post some benchmarks .
thanks guys

Hell yeah. I put a 4 1/2" 85cfm right where you plan to put yours. Dropped my whole system temps by 10C and the CPU 8C. Also I use a crappy Chrome Orb. Temps are 42C max for CPU and 28C max for MB. Duron700@892, A7V, Vcore maxed at 1.85.

i read an article where a guy took an orb and a bench grinder and removed the fins that hit the resisters..i must have been mistaken about the direction of the air flow if you super blows on the hs the 92 might help ;D

Back