• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-Step: How to build a cheap and quiet AMD dually.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mdcomp said:
Wow!! Nice article...very thorough. I learned a lot from that, almost convinced me to build a dual system, but I have no money. Maybe you should get this posted on the home page of overclockers, or at least a sticky.

Matt

It is a sticky, and it has also been published as an article on the front page.

poopygood said:

Anyone have a link to a good online store that carries these cheap, reliable 500 watt power supplies?

www.amamax.com

cmcquistion said:

It is a sticky, and it has also been published as an article on the front page.

Guess I missed it, lol. Glad it is though. Great stuff. Can't wait to see your upcoming articles.

Matt

cmcquistion said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

www.amamax.com

Be warned ... don't buy from Amamax if you expect
to receive what is advertised on the page and what's listed
on your receipt. :mad:
They seem to think a low price is an excuse to send any old unit
they happen to have on hand, irregardless of what the amp specs are. :mad:

Maxvla said:
case is sold out at directron. no ETA on a resupply. :(

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. I'm in the market for another good dually case, because I just picked up a refurbished Asus A7M266-D for $50.

I did a search on Pricewatch for "LX-6A19 but came back with only one hit. When I went to the distributor's site, they were VERY lean on information about the case. They only had one picture (from the front) and they didn't mention whether it had 120mm fans or not. I'm not going to buy from them; too little information.

DOH! Finally get the greenlight on the new system and my case is out of stock? :(

I definatly like the slk3700 ALOT but for my system I was kinda hoping for black with no door, because I really like the lcd I have in one of my 5.25 inch bays on one of my other cases.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. I'm in the market for another good dually case, because I just picked up a refurbished Asus A7M266-D for $50.

how'd you score that gem for so little $?

do you know what was wrong with it before?

any other cases worth getting? i really don't need the lanboy with psu from newegg for 76 bucks plus ship...

dustybyrd said:

how'd you score that gem for so little $?

do you know what was wrong with it before?

It was returned to a computer shop I buy from, sometimes. They sent it to Asus, Asus sent it back, supposedly repaired. I don't know what was wrong with it, before. For $50, though, I'm willing to take a chance with it. In the worst case scenario, I'll have to RMA it to Asus, but they are pretty good about RMA's. The computer shop gave me a 5 day warranty. I should be able to see if it is working by then.

It was returned to a computer shop I buy from, sometimes. They sent it to Asus, Asus sent it back, supposedly repaired. I don't know what was wrong with it, before. For $50, though, I'm willing to take a chance with it. In the worst case scenario, I'll have to RMA it to Asus, but they are pretty good about RMA's. The computer shop gave me a 5 day warranty. I should be able to see if it is working by then. [/B]

i think i'm going to be jealous...

but congrats on a great pickup..

dustybyrd said:

i think i'm going to be jealous...

but congrats on a great pickup..

This is the first time I have EVER gotten a good deal, locally. Usually, I only buy local when I'm desperate and can't wait. I just got lucky, this time. Went in to get a replacement MB for one that was DOA from Newegg. Got a decent replacement and caught them on the day they put out all their refurb stuff. Wasn't anything in their refurb pile worth buying, except this one board (unlabeled, and in a white box.)

Only problem is, it is a Rev 1.03 board, so it doesn't have USB and I think this is the revision that you couldn't change Vcore on CPU2. I know how to pin-mod, though, so that doesn't bother me and I've got a couple USB cards lying around, if I end up needing USB.

Nice deal there cmcquistion :)

I am moving forward with my dually system. For my next system I had somewhat settled on the fact that I wanted a black case, no door, and 120mm fan mounts on it. That LX-6A19 was right up my alley.

I think I am going to go ahead and get it at coolcases.com. Its more expensive than it was at directron unfortunatly but they have them in stock (with a black grill instead of grey which I think I would prefer anyways). They do offer case modding services on their cases there as well. Not the cheapest site in the world but they will do alot of nice stuff for ya.

Deathknight said:
Nice deal there cmcquistion :)

I am moving forward with my dually system. For my next system I had somewhat settled on the fact that I wanted a black case, no door, and 120mm fan mounts on it. That LX-6A19 was right up my alley.

I think I am going to go ahead and get it at coolcases.com. Its more expensive than it was at directron unfortunatly but they have them in stock (with a black grill instead of grey which I think I would prefer anyways). They do offer case modding services on their cases there as well. Not the cheapest site in the world but they will do alot of nice stuff for ya.

Thanks for the tip on coolcases. I see they offer really nice pre-modded versions of this case, under the name "D8000". I edited the original post with this information.

Wasn't anything in their refurb pile worth buying, except this one board (unlabeled, and in a white box.)

Only problem is, it is a Rev 1.03 board, so it doesn't have USB and I think this is the revision that you couldn't change Vcore on CPU2. I know how to pin-mod, though, so that doesn't bother me and I've got a couple USB cards lying around, if I end up needing USB. [/B]

wow, i wonder if they knew what it was ;) or that it was worth more than $50...probably $135-150 on ebay if they checked to see if it worked..

yeah both are mine are rev 1.03 and the only problems are the lack of bios (or mobo) voltage control on both cpus (but this can be kind of circumvented with the pinmod---although you are left with less voltage options depending on the chips you put in)...

and the other problem is the lack of USB...but in my experience i have never had great luck with on board USB stability...so although you end up using a PCI slot and you can't use the "front" USB holes...you get better USB usage (and you have a reason to get USB 2.0)..

in the end...i hope you enjoy that board for such a steal!

i know you have at least one already...

this thead is awesome! iv got a build comming up in a few weeks and this guide really helps. i have 2 XP2500's in single processor rigs that are going to get up graded soon, so i plan on modding them to work on that board.:)

P.S. this is going to be a ded folder!:cool:

P.S.S. i cant seem to fine the Barton to MP page, any help?

Last edited:
waynebot said:
P.S.S. i cant seem to fine the Barton to MP page, any help?

Read the section of the original post under CPU MODS. I have a link, there, to the applicable sticky.

Back