• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Step-by-Step: How to build a cheap and quiet AMD dually.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dually O/C and Water cooled??

Excellent article, great photos, well explained.
Now for my really noob question:))
I know I've seen this article in a couple of places, but I've also seen the updated version that refers to using a W/C system (I had it bookmarked but my sys crashed and had to do a re-install and lost most favorites :(

Can someone please have pity on me (I've got the bug!!) and while I really want to build one of these( with 2X 2500+'s) , I really think I'll need some real chilling (active of course:))

All I need is someone to point the way

Thanking everyone from this great forum (s)

CCr_Claymore "Si Je Puis"

A Noob ask real silly don't I :))

Found the article on the oc site, under tips/case reviews :)), its under "A Mod goes Modding, Part III, by Brian Berry

Sorry for any inconvenience

CCr_Claymore

CCr_Claymore said:
Excellent article, great photos, well explained.
Now for my really noob question:))
I know I've seen this article in a couple of places, but I've also seen the updated version that refers to using a W/C system (I had it bookmarked but my sys crashed and had to do a re-install and lost most favorites :(

Can someone please have pity on me (I've got the bug!!) and while I really want to build one of these( with 2X 2500+'s) , I really think I'll need some real chilling (active of course:))

All I need is someone to point the way

Thanking everyone from this great forum (s)

CCr_Claymore "Si Je Puis"

Don't plan on using regular Bartons. They are all multiplier locked, now. The chips you want are Mobile Athlons (with Barton cores.)

Nothing wrong with using locked CPUs ... just might require a little chip and BIOS modding ;) Probably a good idea as well if you're going to be using the K7D which seems to have a few unusual issues with true mobile CPUs.

i would go duallie if i could just buy another matching cpu and use that... XP 2600+, default 266 MHz DDR FSB.

and that MSI board only supports AGP 4x. that makes me angry. it looks like such an amazing board, but with the graphics slowdown i'm not sure if i would want it for a gaming board. if i can find a board that will definitely support my processor and AGP 8x, then i'll definitely buy another cpu and go duallie.

i read this back when it was posted as an article. i was happy to find it as a thread. this is a really good post.

celebritymusic said:
Just wondering what kind of performance increase i could expect off a dually like that using say two 3ghz chips.

I need it for music recording. My current system:

Intel Motherboard D845GBV2
P4 2.4 b ghz proc. x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 (currently running at 30-32 degrees)
System Bus 533
System Mem 333

try getting some faster system memory. your performance will go down a lot if the memory clock is a lot lower than the fsb. so get some ddr400 memory, and that should boosy your performance enough.

this thread is for dual AMD boards. they don't go up to 3 ghz. because they don't need to go that high in order to get good performance.

so now that i'm off of my anti-intel tangent, back to the business at hand. if you insist on staying with intel, then good luck finding a dual-P4 board. you can get dual-Xeons, but not dual-P4s. the Xeons are built for servers.

they might work well for audio recording though. so if oyu insist on staying with intel, then do that. if not, then since you don't need the graphics power of 8x AGP, then that MSI board will probably do you just fine.

Last edited:
There is no, and almost certainly never will be, any dual-K7 system that supports AGP8x simply because there is only one dual-K7 chipset out there (the AMD MPX), and AMD has pretty much said that it's not going to be updated. Because AMD is forcing the K7's out of fashon, there will almost certainly be no other dual-K7 boards made (due to the cost in designing a dual-CPU board). So what you see is what you get. You'll never have a dual-K7 system with any of:
1) AGP8x
2) A 1/5 or 1/6 divider (ie: pretty difficult to get above 150Mhz FSB)
3) PCI bus lock
4) Onboard USB2.0
5) PCI-express
6) Onboard SATA
7) Anything else that has come in in the past couple of years

The biggest performance killer for dual-K7's is not the AGP4x slot, but rather the very limited FSB (and also RAM speeds, since async is not supported on the MPX chipset AFAIK). On the K7D, 3DMark01 scales pretty much linearly with FSB and isn't affected by the multiplier, even when running as low as ~1.5GHz. For example, running at 133x11 = 1466 scores only a percent or two lower than when running at 133x16.5 = 2200. However, running at 150x11 = 1650 (which is very unstable on my board) gives about a 13% boost, directly in line with the increase in FSB. And running at 100x15 = 1500 (with a 1/3 divider now) cuts performance by about 20%, which is again very close to the amount of change in the FSB.

This is for both a Barton and a Duron with a 9800 Pro @ 9800XT speeds (actually, a softmodded and overclocked 9800SE, but it behaves exactly like a 9800Pro).

WOW! Great article! Me and my buds are gunna build a server sometime soon, I think this guy will prove really helpful, Thanks :)

First, yes I necro'ed an almost 10 year old thread. Just wanted to thank the staff for leaving it live. I had forgotten a few things since the last time I ran my K7D Master and was having a few problems. The google machine led me here. Problem solved. Nice forum, I like it here. Thanks for having me. :)

Back