• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd problems on IS-7 w/2.4C...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2XS

First off here are my system specs.

IS-7 bios 15
P4 2.4C L321 Malay
Zalman 7000-cu
2- 512Mb XMS3200C2 in DC mode.
Radeon 9800np
SB Audigy 2
Antec Solution 400W
Tt Xaser 2

1) Last night bios was showing 29C idle. And 34-36C in windows w/ Sandra and Seti running. Nexus MCP-101 is reading within 2C of Sandra. So I thought I would O/C a little, 250fsb.

So I set my fsb to 250, mem divider to 5:4, agp/pci to fixed, all voltages are default. And loosened mem timings to 7.3.3.3 , gat is set to default.

I then run memtest for a couple hours with no errors at listed settings. Then I run Sandra through 20 loops and start mbm5 to check temps against Sandras' reports. CPU does not exceed 42C. Next I begin a session of Prime95 for a day long run. Well Prime runs for 2 minutes and fails. So I turn off MBM5 and rerun Prime95, this time it runs 5 minutes and fails.

I reboot to bios and check temps real quick and it says 48C and holding. So I restor all defaults in bios and reboot to bios again. Temp is still at 48C. I then shut it down for a while and let things cool down. I turn it back on 1/2 hour later and check temps, bios STILL shows 47-48C.
With temps reading that high I did not want to risk more volts and try again. I also reseated the HSFand will check temps after work. If they have not improved I am tempted to reseat it again.

What did I do wrong?

2) The -3.3 and -5vdc lines both read about 1.5vdc high. -1.8 and -4.5 respectfully.

Is this normal?

Abit motherboards are notorious for having screwy temp sensors. I am not sure about MBM, but if your temps don't exceed 50C under load as reported by Winbond (came on your IS7 driver CD,) I would not worry about it. One IS7 computer I built, had 60C load temps with all stock stuff. FSB, HSF, Voltage (which was actually undervolting), etc.

Last edited:
Yes the temps I gave are as reported by winbond. The funky thing is that right before I tried to OC winbond was showing 34-36 under load.

I have some bios settings written down that I am going to try.

regardless thouhg...once you shut down the system for 1/2 hour like you said, the temp should have dropped...even upon restarting it again...unless there's something wrong ALL OF A SUDDEN with the heatsink/fan not in there properly...

However, if this is the case, you would experience worse temp problem than just 48C...

nevertheless, you should make sure that you have a safe shutdown temp setup in the BIOS

IME I found that the Bios temps are significantly higher than what winbond reports.

Thanks for the help. I changed the last 2 GAT settings and things seems to have straightened out. Temp is still high and I hope that ABIT gets it right in the next bios update.

Winbond is reading 52C under load. It ran Prime95 all night so I started Seti this morning. I have bios set to throttledown if temps exceed 55C and to shutdonw at 58C.

[edit] Winbond is showing 43C idle and 53C load temps.

Last edited:
Back