• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Notebooks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The hard drives are all standard now (2.5" and i think 8 or 10mm thick). The processor I would guess goes into a socket on these. Or it could have its own section of PCB that the processor is soldered on like on the PII/III line. I think that a socketed processor would be easier to find of those two. A Centrino processor though is going to be expensive, isn't it? These notebooks are a good idea, IMO.

After adding the price of ram a hardrive and the processor, I doubt you'll save any money over buying a complete system (probably even lose some). Dell has some good deals on Centrino laptops that have a great warranty on them. They make excellent notebooks.

Now, if you're more interested in putting together your own because it would be kind of cool, well, that's another story.

Thanks for the info, i was debating wether to build my own laptop or buy a prebuilt, i still havent chosen but does any one know if compaq has good quality today, ive had the one in my sig for 5 years and it has been great so i might get another if i hear more good reports.

xb-70

Do you specifically need battery power and one-piece construction? Would a small form-factor PC suit your needs?

My wife and I built one into a briefcase, and coupled with an LCD screen, it's quite portable. -- Paul

I still am open to using the SFF PC's but i was leaning toward a laptop for the ability to watch movies on long trips. However the SFF in a briefcase is a good idea and maybe ill think about that, do you have any pictures, and what size board did you use, it would seem to me to be a tight fit. Anyway thanks for the suggestion,
xb-70

Back