• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ax-7 + which fan = cooler cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asuh

Registered
The temp in the room in which I live is hot constantly. Not too shabby. I have an exhaust and intake as well as antec PSU with fans. That is my airflow.

My CPU (xp1600+) cooling is an AX-7 with an 80mm Sunon that's 29cfm. With this setup, my idle temp is constantly around 55C and I would like to decrease this by no less than 10C.

I would like to not buy another HS but rather the fan. I am interested in the power of a Vantec tornado but not the noise. Obviously, the noise will have to be considered in my upgrade and I can probably live with a little more noise on my computer but it'd be nice to have some nice cooling as well.

Am I forgetting any info? Please help!!

Last edited:
smart fan 2 is the way to go =d can be almost as powerful as a vantec torando if you turn that sucker all the way up or quiet if you turn it down =d has adjust fan speeds already on the fan =d

well, i have considered the smart fan earlier but hadn't sought out an opinion. Maybe I'll give it a try. Where should I buy it? I've seen it for as low as $11 from buyxtremegear.com.

I do have an Ax-7 with a 92mm tornado. It's not that loud if you run it at 7v. It still pushes alot of air too.

At 7V, the 92mm Tornado will not perform as well as a Smart Fan II at full speed. I'd have to say the Smart Fan II as well. SVC.com has them for $9.99.

fry,s carries them,thats where i got mine.a little more expensivebut no waiting or shipping charges

I bought the Smart Case Fan II and connected it to my AX-7 HS. To my DISMAY, my temperatures are still in the 50s! I am shocked. In fact, here's what the results are:

AX-7 w/Sunon = 55 degrees C
AX-7 w/Smart Fan = 50 degrees C

So, I think I'm bright enough to figure out what might be the problem. Air flow in the case? I have two exhausts, one from the PSU and one on the back of the case. Any intakes? Not really. I have one fan sitting in the front of the case blowing towards the back but it really can't be picking up any air because there aren't too many holes in the front.

So, with these exhausts that I have, no decrease in temp more than 5C. Is there another problem I'm not seeing?

Back