• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best method to remove tarnish on copper HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm... i was thinking more along the lines of some sort of solution... something like they'd maybe use to clean up silverware etc. i appreciate the suggestion, i should probably lap it.

problem with solutions like that is you may not be able to get it entirely off the HS and end up having to lap it anyway. Your better off just lapping it.

You can dunk it in vinegar for an hour to remove the tarnish on the whole HS then rinse it off in plain water, would be smart to use rubber gloves so that you dont get any body oil on it. If the base isnt flat should lap it but that wasnt what you were asking.

Ehhh dont use regular water on a copper HS. Too many minerals in it and may react with the copper. Should use distilled water to rinse it off.

Ketchup or brown sauce is pretty good, it has acids and abrasives in there to get it nice and clean on the cheap.

thanks for the thoughts guys... i will try soem of the methods mentioned and then do my first lapping job. it's an slk900 that looks like it sat on the floor of the ocean for about a year :(.

Back