• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate this new Dell 1800FP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyle

I can tolerate this new Dell 1800FP now

Actually, I don't really hate it, but it's not what I expected. The monitor itself is a real gem. The colors are gorgeous and the display is, well, ultra sharp. That's where my problem with it is.

The native resolution is 1280 x 1024, that's where everything is at it's sharpest, and my old eyes just can't take the smallish type size. You younger guys have fresher eyes and it probably doesn't bother you at all. Us older guys, and I daresay I'm older than 90% of you, need a larger display size to help us see things better. I had a 19" Trinitron connected before, and I ran that at 1024 x 768 which was just perfect for me. On this LCD, I'm at 1152 x 864 which displays most everything fine except that text is a little fuzzy. I also tried 1024 x 768 with similar results. I just can't do 1280 x 1024. I have to shut down after 10-15 mins. because my eyes start hurting.

I might go back to my CRT.

Criminy, sucks to be mature.

Last edited:
Hold the ctrl key and turn the mouse wheel and the type will get bigger or smaller for you.I have the same problem as you do and have used the 1024 x 768 with my crt for years.every desktop setting has to be changed to use the higher resolution.What a hassle.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I"ve played with them a little and it seems to have helped in the short run. Maybe I need bifocals. Maybe I need glasses. Really a nice monitor, though.

I've been playing with all the settings for 4 days now, and come to the conclusion that I can tolerate this thing, but I tolerate it less than my 19" Trinitron CRT. I'm switching back. The FP will work just fine on my third system, but for everyday use it's just not for me.

lyle said:
I've been playing with all the settings for 4 days now, and come to the conclusion that I can tolerate this thing, but I tolerate it less than my 19" Trinitron CRT. I'm switching back. The FP will work just fine on my third system, but for everyday use it's just not for me.

That's the first time I've EVER heard of someone going back to CRT :p

Ouch...I am not sure if I could go back either.....the contrast/brightness is just sooooo nice....

hehe i wish i had that amount of $$$ spare:)
I barely could afford the Dell 1800FP that i am using now:)

Hey that ctrl+scroll wheel trick for my browser is the cat's meow :thup:

I too have older eyes. 3x that of most of you.

Sure beats having to mess with the desktop properities settings.

heh i know what you are saying, when I crank up graphics on game it makes it look sweeter, but you can't read anything onscreen (its the size of little tiny winy ants). As for the UltraSharp 1800FP, I have the same monitor and I love it! If you think the text is fuzzy, theres a cleartype fix by MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm?fname= &fsize=

the type of monitor is BGR, not RGB

hope this helps :beer: cheers m8

Back