• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having problems.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

Aight...I got my IC7 the other day but I can't get my system to stay on. You can see what I am running in my sig. Like windows XP will load up but then the whole system will reboot after like 1-2min. Is this a memory issue??? What settings do I need to put the memory at to get it to run right???

2.26ghz has a multiplier of 17, right? You're running a FSB of 164 or 165 to reach 2.8ghz? If so, I'd say that's just too fast for your PC 2100 RAM and that's what's causing your crashes. PC 2100 spec is DDR 266, or a FSB of 133. It would also be helpful to know what your vDIMM setting is, and what ratio you're running between FSB/RAM. Also, your latency settings come into play... In other words, it could be a lot of things, but all of them point at your slow, (by OC standards) memory, which is made to run with your chip at stock speeds ONLY.

I agree with kestrel. You might be stressing the memory out. Run memtest86 at those speeds to see if the memory is crapping out. If errors occur, then ease back (drop the multiplier to a low number and keep the high FSB) and run memtest. Keep dropping the FSB until the errors go away.

Also, rebooting is a symptom of not enough vcore. Are you running suffiecient vcore?

you dont actually have to buy new memory at this moment just set your memory timings up like 2.5 or 3 on cas and 3-3-7 and see what it does. ALLEN

drshivas said:
If errors occur, then ease back (drop the multiplier to a low number and keep the high FSB) and run memtest. Keep dropping the FSB until the errors go away.

Also, rebooting is a symptom of not enough vcore. Are you running suffiecient vcore?

1) He can't drop his multiplier, he's got a p4. All he can do is change the ratio between his FSB and RAM speeds, slow down his latency timings, add more vDIMM, or lower his FSB... Probably a combination of several of those options as PC 2100 isn't really a great overclocker. He's going to buy some faster RAM anyway, (which is a good decision on his part as one can buy RAM that will OC great for that chip for pretty cheap right now).

2) Yeah, his vCore is probably still at stock and it wouldn't really hurt to bump it up a little bit as long as his temps are still in-line. If he starts seeing load temps over 50-55C he should back off a little. Default vCore on that chip is 1.52v, he shouldn't go above 1.6v at this point.

Yeah, but I got an IC7 which means I kinda sorta gotta "guess" my CPU temps. Says it is a at 42*C idol. I don't believe it cause I got a Nexus cotroller with the CPU therm. like 1mm (if even that) away from the CPU and it reads 25* idol. I mean the sucker is like touching the side edge of the CPU. I just guess it is around 30*-32* idol.

1) He can't drop his multiplier, he's got a p4.

My bad. I need to be less AMD-centric I guess :D . Now that you brought that up, I now recall that all my intel boxes are multiplier locked. Thanks kestrel.

Back