• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drop 10c off your cpu's idle temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark Druid

Registered
This REALLY works go check out

then go read the thread at hardocp that I reported my test results to.

I did not believe it as I was reading it.
I did not believe it had actually worked when I rebooted and saw I was 10F (Yes F NOT C) lower.
I would have bet $100 all it did was change the temp probe
Then I ran sisoft burn in, and got it back up to 10F above my normal idle, and stopped it.
I sat and watched Asus Probe and with in 90 seconds it was back down 10F then my old idle.
Kudoz to the ones who found this OUT!!!
Peace.

Peace

I can’t believe it either cos it’s dropped my idle temps by 9 C!! Changed the setting then immediately flicked to Asus probe and right before my eyes temps started dropping.

Thelemac (Apr 07, 2001 06:47 p.m.):
Idle temps? What the hell are those?
I agree. I NEVER let my chip idle. Seti and Folding make sure of that. Wouldnt want my new chip to think life is going to be easy.......

It seems to have lowered my chips load temps as well. I used to get up to around 105-107 F, but now I rarely go above 100 F even under full load. I can't say this is not due to a cooler ambient temperature, however, as it has been rather colder around here lately.

wont this cause the cpu temp to drop bellow room temp and cause condensation???
and so daming the board and or chip?

might be wrong

-inox- (Apr 08, 2001 04:58 p.m.):
wont this cause the cpu temp to drop bellow room temp and cause condensation???
and so daming the board and or chip?

might be wrong

You're never going to be able to get your core temp to run below ambient temperature with air cooling. Wind chill is just not going to be THAT effective. Besides you have to be quite a bit below ambient AND in a humid environment before condensation will occur.

On my AsusA7V133 rev1.04 (bios 1004) the value for register 52 is 6C. However I can't edit this to EB, it keeps defaulting to EC instead, but I still get my idle temps dropping by nearly 10C!

However a couple of questions...

Also everytime you reboot I loose this setting, is there anyway to make it permanent?
Also does anyone know what's being changed e.g. a registry value?

xx, I have the same thing happen. And I have to reset after each reboot. I'm just happy with the EC drop, 4c at idle for me. I have tried to change it to EB many times but always get EC instead.

xx (Apr 09, 2001 01:07 a.m.):
On my AsusA7V133 rev1.04 (bios 1004) the value for register 52 is 6C. However I can't edit this to EB, it keeps defaulting to EC instead, but I still get my idle temps dropping by nearly 10C!

However a couple of questions...

Also everytime you reboot I loose this setting, is there anyway to make it permanent?
Also does anyone know what's being changed e.g. a registry value?

Use bios 1005c it's the most stable that I have found. Stay way away from 1007 it will raise your temps another 10c. I tested it before I found out about the register fix. using 1005c my idle was 103, with 1007 it was 115, and very unstable. I could not even boot into w2k server above 825, but with 1005c w2k server goes in at 901.

Peace

It's strange why you can only set the value of EC instead of EB, maybe it's depends on the Mobo or bios version, what are you running?
Also you can make this sort of permanent, but like always I try and run before I can walk and didn't bother to read the full article. The following link tells you how to configure so it adds the custom settings each time at startup:

EC is ok, this a reply from the guy who wrote the article...

"If reg 52 changes to EC when set to EB, do not worry... it is still working. Allthis means is that your system wouldnt let you change bits 0 and 1. EB looks like this 11101011 and EC looks like this 11101100 . the important bit is bit 7 as we know and this is set to 1 in both cases. A goog guide is if the first hex letter is E then bit 7 will be set"

The link doesn't seem to work right now for me, can somebody copy and past the instructions if they can get in? Or email them to me that's cool too.

You need to run the WPCRSET.exe.
Install it by running the program INSTDD.EXE, this will then install the program onto your computer, you will need to reset before any changes can be made.
When you are done you will need to run WPCRSET.EXE, check the start button and click Add. Then just enter the register value i.e. 52 and the data value i.e. EB. The bus, device and function boxes can be left with a zero value. Click OK and thats it, now this value will be set every time you start up.

Okie dokie, umm, I'm kind of new, so I have some questions...They are as follows....
What are registers? (values that determine how your memory work?)
What is a good program to determine if the settings that I change help or hinder my system's performance?
Will this work on any chipset?(I have an ALi chipset for the ka266-r mobo, and from what i've heard it's not the greatest...)
thanks for your input and help

Back