• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256mb 2700 or 512mb 2100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Alright, I'm looking to upgrade the "family computer" soon because it gives me a chance to upgrade mine, and the best part is that my Dad is paying for it. Anyways, the family machine is going to have an abit kx7-333, a low-voltage 1700+, a Western Digital 80Gb SE, and an old GeForce 2 video card. The computer will mainly be used for e-mail, internet, word processing, and some AutoCAD. It's also going to be running Windows XP Home. So, long story short, my question, is basically this: considering the hardware of the machine, and what it's going to be used for, would I be better off getting 256Mb of PC2700 or 512Mb of PC2100? Price is sort of an object, I plan on buying off of newegg, and would like to stay in the $50-$60 range. Or, for that sort of money is it possible to get 512Mb of some cheap generic 2700?

I think 512mb of pc2100 would service that machine better than a 256 mb stick of 2700(Windows xp, and i KNOW someone in ur family is gonna have all these new little themes n stuff, so ya get the 512mb stick :p)

Stick of 512 is going to be good ebough. 256 isn't really enough for XP. I ran a stick of 256 for a long time, but glad I finally got more. Anyway, you could probably overclock the 1700+ a few mhz. Im sure the ram will let you do that. :D

Back