• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9500np problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tazplex

I'm having problems with my 9500np just purchased. It is not softmodded, just stock and not oc'ed in any way.

When I run any direct3d application, such as 3dmark or dxdiag direct3d tests, they will run, but the polygons are all screwed up (traingle shaped and/or tearing), rendering the game unplayable..

However, any game using the openGL engine like Q3A runs without a hitch, which leads me to believe it's not the card. Have had the same result with both Omaga and Catalyst drivers, tried 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6 wiping clean after every install and reinstalling windows.

Monitor usually shuts off when booting into windows working maybe 40% of the time, which makes me think that my power supply in inadequate from what I have read here. It's only 300W and I plan on replacing it with a 420W switching dual-fan unit this week.

System Specs:
AMD Xp 1800+ stock
Albatron Kx400+ motherboard
256MB Crucial Pc2700
Sapphire 9500NP stock with zaltman heatsinks for extra cooling
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
Everything else unplugged.

As you can see I'm not pushing anything hard, just trying to get this thing working.

My question is, would the inadequate power supply cause the graphical tearing and/or misshaped polygons in D3D, or am I looking at a combination of programs and even a bard card (I hope not)?

Thanks for the help guys.

A weak PSU might be the cause your problem. 300W is marginal for your set up. You need to eliminate the possible causes one by one with the PSU being the first item to change.

Update:

I had another 300W PSU in an older pc (celeron 300A), so I removed everything from the pc so that the PSU was only running the processor (read: no drives) and then hooked the 4-pin floppy connector from this pc into the radeon.

This way, the video card was running of its own psu while the remaining system components (see above) were running of their own psu.

Now, this has stopped the lockups at boot, but DirectX D3D test just chashes to a white screen and I must reboot. #dmark freezes and won't run. Reinstalled directx and drivers only to get the same result.

By doing the above, haven't I determined that it's not the psu, or isn't that a feasible solution?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having probelms with my new 9500np as well. It's not softmodded or oc'd, but I'm getting artifacts from my more visually demanding games. I can run old games fine though. I'm anxious to see some possible fixes. Oh, and I have a 420w PSU.

what ns do you have on your card??? if its 3.3 and you overclocked your memory past 303 that would be the reason. if you dont have 3.3 take 1000 and divide it by the ns you do have and dont set your memory higher than that number.

Good News!

Card is working fully compliant, however, it only functions at AGP 1x, 2x and 4x are a no-go.

Am I correct in thinking that this is an issue with the AGP slot on the motherboard rather than the card itself? I hope its the motherboard rather than the card.

Also took readings of my power supply, so I don't think it's the problem. They are as follows:

3.3V ~ 3.29V
5V ~ 4.99V
+12V ~ 12.70V
-12V ~ -12.41V
VBAT ~ 3.16V
5VSB ~ 5.42V

Again, those seem normal right? Thus I am thinking it's a motherboard issue. Any and all help is appreciated as always. Thanks.

Back