• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question to broken AMD cpu's owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toutin

Registered
My Duron has a corner that is broken due to this **** Chrome Orb removals (replaced by a PAL6035),for now it seems to work normally but I'd like to know what kind of malfunction can occur when the core is lightly damaged.I'm mainly wondering about an intermediate state between no-boot and normal state; what kind of instability can we get in that intermediate state?
(OR is the CPU immediatly destroyed by any damage to the core or is there a middle between dead and normal?)
Mine seems fine (as stable as before,3dmark, HL, Quake3...), so I guess it's only an external damage and that the core is still intact but I'm not sure about the effects of such crisps.
I tried to attach a picture of my duron, hope it will work.
Greetings

I got one like that too, worse in fact.

still going at 1020Mhz!!!!

Time to worry is when they don't work - not when they do!!!!!

I did the same thing with a T-Bird with the same piece of shog crome orb.It didn't effect it any. As for the crome orb; I broke the middle pin on my socket putting on my waterblock so I took the hold down off the crome orb and modified it to go on my watercooler tie down. That is the only thing I have it good for. Can't even use the fan for any thing.Might make a water block out of the rist of it.

TT said Chrome Orb designed for AMD's no more crushed CPU
LOL hurray Chrome Orb
thank you for your feedback
Any other broken CPU owner?

I think that it is one or the other ..

Either they work or don't work. I don't think there is anything like hitting on seven cylinders with a CPU. I crushed one of my Durons and it wasn't a think I can, think I can situation. It was an absolute nothing happening, black screen, not even a beep kind of situation. Kind of a sick feeling whwn you realise.

I agree when it comes to crushing the core it's either a work or don't work situation. That said, I had a 900 MHz CPU that got messed up and started posting and running (unstably) at 500 MHz even when locked (and it should be locked to a 9x multiplier)! Maybe the CPU was just defective, but this just goes to show that the internal logics CAN get scrambled under the right (and probably extremely unusual) conditions.

My Duron 600 is probably missing 5% of the total core surface are due to edge and corner chipping. Thank you GlobalWin FOP-32E. It still hums along at 1.1G. I have a picture of it that hurts to look at, so I'll spare you.

Hoot

My toasted Duron and TBird looked absolutely great, much better, in fact, than yours does. As long as its working, be happy and stay away from orbs.

seems like if you chip them, the're ok or they die. If you burn em , they get all flakey , or they just die

I've got three socket "A" proccessors right now and I take them out regularly. I am extremely careful when removing / installing the hsf. I've used Global
Win's exclusively, good reason to stick with them.

T-BIRD 650 @ 650 / FIC AZ11 (bad bird? it won't do over 850 on an ASUS)

DURON 600 @ 1100 110*10 A7V

DURON 600 @ 1130 133*8.5 A7V133

I tried to be careful but that silly chrome orb was a pain in the ***. I needed to apply some pressure to manage to get it.
I'm glad it still works, thank you for your feedback. I'd like to remove my PAL6035 to apply new thermal grease but I 've never did that before.
Is the alpha (I found it rather firm when putting it) clip dangerous too?

i got a little crack smaller than that on my t-bird 1.2 gig while taking off a super orb and it no longer works :(
also broke the middle clip thing off the mobo so i cant put any heatsink back on it untill i somehow get hold of a taisol hsf... problem is i cant find one anywhere :(

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it's an awful picture! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and it still works?

Back