• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whoops-almost lost another TBird.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stool

Day three of setup after getting my IWill motherboard back, and everything was going smoothly. Ran CPUBurn for three hours to get some baseline temps, and installed 3DMark2000. Failed on first attempt to run the benchmark, so I rebooted. Just made it into Windows, locked up. Reboot again, no post. Unhooked everything, humped it to the workbench, and lo and behold, the waterblock sprang a small leak. Everything felt dry, but I suspect some coolant dripped onto the transistors and capacitors below the socket. I breathed a sigh of relief when the 1.2G(266) TBird fired up on another board. However, the Iwill may be done in. I'm letting it dry out with a bunch of fans on it, and will find out the good news tomorrow.

hopes its some good news. Get a little squirt bottle and use distil water to get the crud off the board. That should get it off!

Well, the board isn't dead, will at least post. There must still be some dampness, because I can't get into BIOS, so I'll wait a bit longer. I may have to do a BIOS flash, too.

I heard a while ago of a guy whose watercooling leaked H2O all over the inside of the comp, soaking his mobo, cpu and graphics card. Everything still worked once it had dried out! Pure water won't conduct electricity, it's the ions in solution that do, so if you're using distilled water (very pure) then there's a good chance that it'll be fine once it's dry. Hope it turns out alright for you Stool :)

Rob Cork (Apr 09, 2001 08:21 a.m.):
I heard a while ago of a guy whose watercooling leaked H2O all over the inside of the comp, soaking his mobo, cpu and graphics card. Everything still worked once it had dried out! Pure water won't conduct electricity, it's the ions in solution that do, so if you're using distilled water (very pure) then there's a good chance that it'll be fine once it's dry. Hope it turns out alright for you Stool :)

if theres any dust on the bord is woll mix with the watter and cause a short :(

If you want to make certain you got all the water off your system, it might sound funny, but use a little alcohol in suspect places, it will disipate the water a lot quicker than just the fans, and it will evaporate quickly itself, just don't soak the board with the stuff

portorock (Apr 09, 2001 08:49 a.m.):
If you want to make certain you got all the water off your system, it might sound funny, but use a little alcohol in suspect places, it will disipate the water a lot quicker than just the fans, and it will evaporate quickly itself, just don't soak the board with the stuff

Yeah, what he said -> Just don't use Beer... It's too conductive <g>

I suggest using some real stuff like Jack Daniels, or if the color bothers you, maybe some Vodka... watch out for that stank though...

Good luck dude... Hate hearing about ppl loosing gear, thats just NOT cool.

Bartman (Apr 09, 2001 01:09 p.m.):
portorock (Apr 09, 2001 08:49 a.m.):

Yeah, what he said -> Just don't use Beer... It's too conductive <g>

I suggest using some real stuff like Jack Daniels, or if the color bothers you, maybe some Vodka... watch out for that stank though...

Good luck dude... Hate hearing about ppl loosing gear, thats just NOT cool.

I got a Maxtor, 7200rpm 20 and a 60 gig, and i cannot install windows on them(2000pro), it came with a install disk to partition and format-what do i do every time i install and boot up it says that the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing-do i need to fdisk /mbr, or something like that. I have made 1 big partition, also made a 2 gig that is active,and the rest just space. The BIOS picks it up-so that means-my BIOS can handle a HD that big right??? im lost

Rob Cork (Apr 09, 2001 08:21 a.m.):
I kind of wish I was just using H2O, but I also have a waterwetter, and an anticorrosive w./pump lubricant that has a slight amount of petroleum product in it. I have taken Qtips and isopropyl alcohol and wiped any suspect areas, and with the fans still going, I am going to give it another day to dry. BTW, dust isn't an issue, as the board is just out of the box from an RMA.

Whoops-almost lost another TBird.UPDATE

What a relief! Popped in the Tbird this morning, and the board fired up just fine. Now I'm going to extensively test the waterblock, to make sure the same problem doesn't happen again.

Back