• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is This OK??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

KiNg

I've just overclocked my Duron 800@1088. This is my system spec:
Abit KT7A-Raid
Duron 800@1088(Thermoengine)with standerd fan
Crucial 256mb 133FSB cas2
Quantum AS 40gb HDD
Pionner DVD-ROM
GeForce 2 mx (hercules 32mb retail)
2 Y-TECH System fans
300w Macron PSU

I am running my system with a FSB of 140........ is this OK?? it is quite stable. My system temp. are Idle:32 Load:47
These Temp. Drop as soon as i put my FSB down to 133.

Any hints or any replies welcome!!!!!!
Thanx to anyone who replies!!!!!
p.s are they any other things that I need to chang with my system????

That's a great overclock. Here's some advice, go get a better hsf and then overclock it some more. Look around for hsf recommendations like the alpha Pal6035, Globalwin Fop-32, get a good fan like a sunon, ys-tech, or delta fan if you have a high thresh hold for whining fan sounds. Here's a good site to get some info and purchase stuff: http://www.2cooltek.com

Oh yeah, and get some arctic silver paste to put between the cpu and hsf. The lower the temps the higher the overclock usually. Good luck and let us know how you turn out.

Realistically, that's pretty near the max you can get out of one without a lot of extra effort. New HSF, New PSU, etc. To verify ultimate stability, run Prime95 Torture and then, 3D Mark 2001. If it make it through those, it's stabile. I am currently experimenting with the ThermoEngine and it runs my 1G/266 Tbird at 22C idle and 40C 10x133 @ 1.85V running P95 Torture. Very impressive for an affordable HSF. That temp was measured with the ThermoEngine drilled and a thermocouple embedded in it over top of the core (read accurate). The Duron will run a little hotter due to less surface area. Lapping the ThermoEngine helps its performance, as well as using a quality heat sink grease.

Hoot

I assume you're using the max voltage of 1.85 - if not why not :D

With a better hsf it ought to be possible to keep a duron, even at that speed and voltage, in the low 40s under load - I'm talking 40-42C here. I'm sure that'd give you 1.1gig at least. Whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you...

On another note, try ocing the graphics card. Being a GF2MX, it's either not got a hsf or it only has a crappy little one. Try a blue orb, they're cheap and if you lap the bottom of it it should allow you to oc the core quite a bit. My bro's GF2MX oc'ed from 175/275 to 210/300 out the box, with no hsf - with a blorb it got to 220/300 (as high as I could take it with the reg edit. I'd expect that would add a good few hundred 3dmarks to your score ;-)

Nothing else to say - great oc, well done!

140 FSB is great! In fact, the FSB controlls many parts of your PC I.E. PCI and RAM, so the higher you get that, the better off you are. It is a good idea to consider setting your multiplier low and the FSB high so for better performance which it looks like is what you did. Congratulations!

Back