• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm planning to get a Duron 850mhz! how overclockable is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MeJa

Hello guys i'm planning to Buy a Duron 850mhz to use with a MSI K7T PRO 2-A motherboard that i have, I dont really know how overclockable is it and will appreciate some coments or recommendation from any of you Master Overclockers out there. The reason why i choose a Duron is just because my Budget doesnt go any further than $100 US.

Any Comments / Recomendations or Ideas will be really appreciated it !

From the results I have seen, I would be very tempted to buy a Duron 750... They seem to overclock to 1000Mhz+ quite often.

Also, it's about 1/2 the price of a 850... $46 I believe.

Of course (as I'm sure you know) this all depends on your case cooling, cpu cooling and luck of the draw in getting a good chip.

If you are a gamer, unless you have a GF2Ultra or a GF3, anything over 800Mhz is going to max out your videocard anyway. [worst case senerio, you get stuck with a Duron 750 - Say you have a GF2MX - this system will be so close to a [other worst case senerio] 850 Duron, that you wont notice a difference. AND you'll have an extra $40 in your pocket :)

I know it is hard to convince yourself that buying a slower chip to start with will be faster in the end... Thats what I said when I bought my Celeron 466... thing does 525 max... Tons of people have 366's @ 550.

Just think of all those Duron 600 @ 1000+ basterds :)

As you stated you dont know if it overclocks well, take a few days and look around the internet, do your homework... You will soon decide what CPU is best for your needs.

bartman is right, all the duron's get to similar speeds. The 600s seem to be the most percentage wise. Check the cpu database and see.

I wouldn't jump to that conclution just yet! the duron 900's have a new code. and they seam to be way more overclockable, for instance you can get a duron 900 @ 1.2 with heatsink cooling! now that is just the average that duron 900's can do. imagin if you got one of the best! :) :) :) 8)

Since you are 'window shopping', you can also consider an 850Mhz T-bird. This should get you a Ghz..perhaps some more. I have no idea what you might get for a code on an 850 T-bird these days.

The code on the 900 Duron is 'ANCA'.

Cheers,

T

I had two 600's each hit around 1050 ..

At one point about all of the Durons maxed out at about this point but I have heard reports about some of the new 900's getting up to around 1150-1200. I can't verify that, just read it in a few reviews when the 900's were released.
If you can afford it at all look for a TBird, they run substantially cooler than the Durons, the core is larger and transfers heat better. I was shocked when I switched from a Duron to a TBird at just how large a difference it was. My 750TBird is probably cheaper than an 850Duron and clocks up tp 1035.

I had two 600's each hit around 1050 ..

i have a Tbird 750.. but i can only max it to 950.. can u help me how to get it to d gig? my system is A7V (FSB 100 cant get it to run higher than 100) FOP38. d CPU temp is 50C (room temp is 33C) itz so hot in this damn country..

The duron 800s are also good OCs.. i got it to 1gig without problems.. but i think Tbird 750 are still faster than a Duron 800 or 850.. so get a Tbird 750 instead =P

sequoia464 (Apr 09, 2001 08:43 p.m.):
At one point about all of the Durons maxed out at about this point but I have heard reports about some of the new 900's getting up to around 1150-1200. I can't verify that, just read it in a few reviews when the 900's were released.
If you can afford it at all look for a TBird, they run substantially cooler than the Durons, the core is larger and transfers heat better. I was shocked when I switched from a Duron to a TBird at just how large a difference it was. My 750TBird is probably cheaper than an 850Duron and clocks up tp 1035.

Though the Duron is an excellent overclocking CPU, if you have $100 to play with,do consider a Tbird also. They run cooler due to a larger core and cooling is a major consideration also.

Hoot

it is a good chip i have got it up to 1100
but then windows starts to screw up
i will try to get this chipped burned in and up the voltage and try again

Well I have to Thank you all for all your comments and information! After reading all the replies i got from all you guys I am pretty clear of what to get!

Back