• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAUSSER

What happens if a athlon is locked but the multiplier is set to a higher frequency than the stated speed, coz I dunno if my cpu (800Mhz T-Bird) is locked or unlocked but i have set the multiplier to 9X to get 900MHz, it works can see it as 900Mhz in bios boots upto windows and shows 900 in sandra. also tried upto 1000Mhz it works but stepped it down coz not decent cooling devices waiting to get it delivered. is this good or bad?

dan

p/s. i can look at the cpu as got no more heatsink paste left.

hot

[4]SHUT DOWN NOW!!![/4]

... and don't ever run (overclocked) cpu's without paste! Too much CPU's have been lost when not using thermal paste, it's such a shame. This subject has been discussed a many times, but no problem notifying. A burnt CPU is something you wish nobody would have.

So get paste, even if it's just the standard silicon stuff (white). High wattage AMD's at high speed won't survive bad cooling!

I havient checked my cpu, it still has paste on it from when I built it. thats why i dont know if its unlocked or not.

now about the overclocking, when your core speed moves up right along with your multiplyer, your chip is unlocked. So you are doing quite well, be sure to take care of cooling, do you have something to measure your temps? Just to be safe and secure. Better cooling will increase your odd's on OC'ing and make the higher speeds possible. Good luck!

Back