• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lx chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
i have an old handmedown computer with an lx(thats the precursor to the bx right?) chipset. only supports 66mhz fsb. there are no cpu vcore options but it is a 2.8 chip. what i was wondering is if i could put a coppermine celeron 66fsb chip in a sloket with voltage options on this mobo?? anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Oh my... a blast from the past. I had an Asus with a LX chipset many moons ago when I had a 233 P-II. My old mobo had 66, 75, and 83 FSB choices and adjustable voltage.

Not sure what you mean by a 2.8 chip?

I'm not sure, but you might be able to use a slotket that has voltage jumpers like the Abit Slotket III.

2.8vcore, its an old klamath i think, or was it dechutes and klamath was p3?
2.8vcore, 512kb off chip cache, 266mhz@300mhz right now. but i was thinkin that those coppermine celerons get close to 800mhz on a 66mhz fsb, and i have 3 or 4 slockets here, i was just wondering if there was any chance it would work before i go off in ebay hunting for the chip,

i could have swore it was 2.8 for the early ones, and i have a voltage for 2.83 in bios, but no changing options. i dont play on the intel side unless its free, so i dont get a whole lot of experience with them

i dont want to waste more hardware than i have to, but it looks like im just gonna have to pick up a refurn sdram socket a mobo and throw that in here with an 800 i have lyin around, and add another p2 to the closet. that makes a 166mmx with mobo, 266mmx with mobo, 133non mmx with mobo, pr333 cyrix ewwww, p2 266, and p200 with mobo in that closet, is there any viable use for these, and considering the 800 athlon would probably outfold them all i dont consider that an option. anyone need an old proc for a comp??

I've got a celeron 766 running in a compaq with LX mobo using a powerleap slotket. Havent tried with another slotket but it should work as long as voltage is set correctly.

I'd like to hear from others too, but I'm fairly sure a slotket would work as long as you have the kind with voltage jumpers on the slotket.

I hear ya, I have old computer components in my junk box too, including a Cyrix M-II PR300 (233) CPU that I can't even give away. A couple winters ago, I was building P-1 boxes and giving them away for charity, but nowadays nobody even wants free AT systems. I'm about ready to offer up the rest of my stuff for the price of shipping and then throw what's left into the nearest dumpster. Hehehe, I even have a Tandy 1000 that would make a nice museum piece (dual 5-1/4" floppies and no harddrive, WOW) and a 286 IBM PC Jr. Oh yeah, almost forgot about my old Commodore 64. Maybe I should make my spare bedroom into an antique computer display room... HA!

batboy said:
Oh yeah, almost forgot about my old Commodore 64. Maybe I should make my spare bedroom into an antique computer display room... HA!

i reckon that c64 would be perfect for a case mod. :D
get yourself a mini-itx mobo, hook up the keyboard on the c64 so it actually works (no idea how. lol ).
laptop hdd inside, external optical drive and you're all set to have a nice compact, custom built system. :D

batboy said:
I'd like to hear from others too, but I'm fairly sure a slotket would work as long as you have the kind with voltage jumpers on the slotket.

I hear ya, I have old computer components in my junk box too, including a Cyrix M-II PR300 (233) CPU that I can't even give away. A couple winters ago, I was building P-1 boxes and giving them away for charity, but nowadays nobody even wants free AT systems. I'm about ready to offer up the rest of my stuff for the price of shipping and then throw what's left into the nearest dumpster. Hehehe, I even have a Tandy 1000 that would make a nice museum piece (dual 5-1/4" floppies and no harddrive, WOW) and a 286 IBM PC Jr. Oh yeah, almost forgot about my old Commodore 64. Maybe I should make my spare bedroom into an antique computer display room... HA!

1 386 "AT" IBM
2 XT IBM
1 PC IBM (the original PC (model 5150))
~4 DEC/Digital VT3**
1 Olivetti 386
1 Packard Bell 386
2 486s no names, soon to become 1.1 ghz folders
1 Burro Dumb terminal
1 Leading Edge XT
1 Leading Edge 286 (soon to be folder 1.1 ghz)
1 Leading Edge 486 (soon to be folder 1.1 ghz)
1 ancient mainframe with a 10 inch floppy
1 luggable brother laptop/typewriter with CRT
6 386s from the insurance company upstairs (soon to be 1.1 ghz folders)
1 PDP 11 in the basement (don't have enough modules to make it boot)

Anyways, what you need to do is find your VRM, and look up it's model number on the net. Read it's datasheet or specs and see what voltage it goes to. The last 66mhz coppermine celeron was the 766, after that P3 moved to 133 and celeron went to 100. The 766 (I have one but my #^%$ed BIOS on my gigbyte board won't take it) is 1.8v. The P2 spec calls for 8.2 (p2 generation spec) VRM spec which mandated you go to 1.8v after that it is up to the manfacture to want to impliment it, but they are required to go down to 1.8v. So if your MB can do a 2.0V p2 can do a 1.8V processor, and the Celeron 766 is one. Please note P3 coppermines are between 1.7v and 1.75v so you are going to be slightly over volting them if you put them in your board but then their are FSB problems. Also a Tualatin is out of the question with a 1.8v min VRM, you can do it but you better take off the IHS and use AS3 with a copper insert fan, like a TT volcano 9.

Back