• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dont waste cash on routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottylynx

Registered
just get zonealarm pro works GREAT and ALL and i mean ALL my ports all stealth what more can u want works great simple to use same results as a router but at a TON LOWER price

yea, some people like to ROUTE things, like internet connections, to differant computers.

;)

o ok im nub so i say stupid things lol o well maybe my next topic will be more helpful :D

Zonealarm doesn't do nat.

Don't waste cash on Zonealarm. Use a real firewalling solution. Like iptables. Or pf. Or ipfw. Or ipfilter.

XWRed1 said:
Zonealarm doesn't do nat.

Don't waste cash on Zonealarm. Use a real firewalling solution. Like iptables. Or pf. Or ipfw. Or ipfilter.

I second that!

but does ZA allow me to share my cable with my 8 machines? does it act as my DHCP host?
does it alow me to meter my internet connection?
nope, i guess i will stick with my router

Heck, a hardware router may be cheaper than a software firewall. The Gigafast EE400-R is available on Newegg for $13 -- potentially cheaper than a second network card or a commercial firewall.

Not that I'd wish that particular router on anyone -- it was a pain to set up, and stopped working temporarily on the second day I was using it.

I agree with a hardware firewall owning a software firewall. A 40 dollar router is a much better deal anyway over a 40 piece of software. :D

Don't feel bad over the post.

Everyone in here posts some weird stuff from time to time.

Beast Of Blight said:
Only the truely 1337, like me, run both a hardware & a software firewall.

Oh yeah, baby. Bask in my awesome ub3rn355 :cool:

Even your avatar is looks paranoid! lol :D

a quote from a girl I used to work with.
a night I turn off my computer and unplug the modem because I heard new viruses can turn on your computer

lol. Just teasing you, it always good to be carefull

Only the truely 1337, like me, run both a hardware & a software firewall.

Technically they're all software firewalls, just the appliances are embedded machines. Some of them even run Linux.

^^^^ :)

uh-hu

Zoneralarm also likes to crash windows alot, or did - i will NEVER use a "free" firewall

u get what you pay for. and my network or computer is worth more then what a Free firewall can offer for protection.

just disable Upnp if it supports it and you should be resonably safe from hackers (dont forget to change the default password) God knows how many people out there dont change it. My linksys kept my home network safe from MSBlaster

Daemonfly said:
Yeah, get a better solution, like low end PC (usually free) and pop Smoothwall on it.

Heck yeah. Compared to a Sonicwall, the only really useful thing missing from the free version is a content filter, but folks here wouldn't care about that. It is an excellent firewall with great VPN capabilities, and it will nearly run on a TI-82 calculator.

Personally, I have posted some silly stuff- and some stuff that
was just plain wrong :D
So don't feel bad!

But it is a pretty timely topic: routers and firewalls.

I use a linksys gateway router which provides some basic protection with NAT.
I also use ZA (free edition) on each windows pc and the linux rigs have stuff going too (which I need to learn more about ;)).

Neither are perfect.
Neither will keep a determined cracker out of any of my machines.

But blaster didn't get me. :)
Neither did Code Red- and I was running an IIS webserver on one of my rigs when that was going around. :)

Security: it's not just for Enterprise IT/IS departments anymore.

and the linux rigs have stuff going too (which I need to learn more about ).

Neither will keep a determined cracker out of any of my machines.

The Linux one can be configured to, unless you are running vulnerable services (read: unpatched) or there is a Linux remote exploit you haven't patched.

I will usualy install the free ZA, I just don't leave it running all the time. It's good to have on when installing downloaded software or other "free" stuff (p2p). It's nice to check for out going as well as incomming traffic. It is kind of a resourse hog though. I am personaly behind a router with nat and spi.

Back