• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What program are people using to "render"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

Just what hte title says. I see alot of "renderings" of projects that people are doing for layout, etc. What programs are they using for this? There was one I linked to in the ammo-box mod that he actually printed out templates for layout and everything.

I use a program called Autodesk Inventor. It is made by the same company that makes 3ds Max. Much like AutoCAD, but much more focused on Solid Modeling.

Scott

hehe i do it all in my head including memorizing the number of centimeters distance from 1 angle to another =)

thats partialy why i have nothing to show on my beast project , because i cant just explain the stuff. that and i have some super top secret stuff i dont want copied till after i have published mine.

there is another 3d software but i cant seem to remember the name of it.
dont have all the functions of autocad but it was made for designing houses and has everything needed for computer modeling with a lot of predefined shapes that are usefull in a water cooling design system

I'm telling you... nothing beats Lincoln Logs, Lego's or Erector Sets for building your PC models. You can change it as you please, and if you are like me, you get to giggle each time you say "Erector Set." Bonus!

I use Solidworks 2k3 for mechanical workings and or Pro E for most layouts and drawings.

Plus for being a student. I get software.

Here at work the drafters/designers use AutCAD and MicroStation, depending on their preference. I'm very partial to AutoCAD, but I'm also not a drafter/designer.

hehehe Erector Set hehehe :clap:

Hey, I have an erector set! I played with it all the time when I was a kid...what's so fun--

ooooohhhh.....:D:D

lol, anyway, be advised that AutoCAD and other similar programs cost money. MONEY, not just money....lol. If you want a 3D rendering program, you have a few options.

You can get a program called MilkShape3D, which has a short trial and is like $50 to purchase, OR you can get the Maya Personal Learning Edition. It's a 150MB or so download, and it puts a watermark on everything you draw. It has most of the features of the regular version. For just doing mock-ups, that should be just fine.

But if you're looking for a program where you can write in dimensions and such, then neither of those programs will work for you. You can make a nice looking design, but you can't print out a blueprint or something.

DaveSauce said:
Hey, I have an erector set! I played with it all the time when I was a kid...what's so fun--

ooooohhhh.....:D:D

lol, anyway, be advised that AutoCAD and other similar programs cost money. MONEY, not just money....lol. If you want a 3D rendering program, you have a few options.

You can get a program called MilkShape3D, which has a short trial and is like $50 to purchase, OR you can get the Maya Personal Learning Edition. It's a 150MB or so download, and it puts a watermark on everything you draw. It has most of the features of the regular version. For just doing mock-ups, that should be just fine.

But if you're looking for a program where you can write in dimensions and such, then neither of those programs will work for you. You can make a nice looking design, but you can't print out a blueprint or something.

Very true. Our liscence for Auto CAD Inventors series here at work was $7300 for a single computer. At school we get student licesnces of Solidworks and Pro E. Though for a full version of pro E its over $10,000, Solidworks is much more user friendly and less costly -- <$2000. These are for single liscences.

Your best bet is to see if you can get trial versions of software, or see if there is a free linux GNU software out there.

I use Autodesk Inventor 6, because I learned that as well as regular AutoCAD at school and I can put them on my computer for free. I don't have the 6 grand the school pays for the education version I have. And Psst AutoCAD's 3D modeling is slow and combersome.

Sketchup is really nice. At first it is really hard to understand, but once you watch the Tutorials on there website it is much clearer. Only real downside of it is it is reallly hard to do curves, but straight lines are very easy.

Back