• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh, is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

$ineX

Registered
When I was recently building my new system.
1ghz Athalon T-bird (200 mhz bus )
crucial 1600 DDR
I accidently pulled of a jumper that, when i turned on the system, caused it to run at 1.33 Ghz. I thought, whoa! and let it sit there.... OVERNIGHT! Air Cooled with a standard fan and nothing happened? Uh, should I continue doing this or just be safe and go back to good old 1GHZ?

Ok I the jumper was the fsb, I changed it from 100 to 133. What should I run on this processor? I thought they where suppose to be 200? Anyway
10x100 = 1000
and 10 x 133 = 1333
My system ran it fine. But I'm sure this is the 200 mhz model with 200mhz ram.

what do you mean, you pulled a jumper? where did you pull this jumper from?

I'm only running standard cooling too. This has to be unsafe. I'm going to go back to 1Ghz till I figure this thing out.

I pulled the jump for the FSB off the motherboard. It was shorted and I removed it. Closed = 100 Open = 133.

Sorry about my poor english. =( Not my first language. C++ is. hehe

woooo, slow down. what are your temps? if there below 50c you are safe if not than go back 'till you get better cooling. what vcore are you at? if you are below 50 and are stable than just keep it. ;D

Everthing else is set to auto and I don't know what my temps are at yet. I'll have to let it run a while to check. Also, what would be the result if i made the FSB 133 and lowered the multiplier to about 7.6 Would a 33, 66 at Double read overlcock be realistic goal. I suppose I only gain 10mhz but wouldn't the added fsb give me a boost? And how would this affect 1600DDR?

*--My sys Specs
Iwill KA266-R
256 Meg Crucial 1600DDR
ATI Radeon 64 Meg DDR
20 Gig Generic ATA 100 HD
Generic 40x CDROM
Phillips 8x4x32 Burner
450 Watt Powersupply
Sever Full Tower Case.

$inex, If the KA-266 is like my KK-266, then Iwill cd has Via hardware monitor on it. I would install that nad check your tempsI would get a good HSF as soon as possible, a standard HSF will limit your ability to O/C due to the amount of heat the chip is producing.

definitely check your temps before you go any further. but it sounds like you have a great processor! if your temps are 45-50C under full load, then it's probably okay to keep it there. i'd invest in a better hsf anyway, though.

$ineX (Apr 10, 2001 11:42 a.m.):
I'm only running standard cooling too. This has to be unsafe. I'm going to go back to 1Ghz till I figure this thing out.

No -it's likely ok. Just check your temps (should be under 40 idle under 50 loaded). Looks like you inadvertantly turned your 1GHz/200 into a 133/266 processor by going from 100(200 in AMD speak) to 133 (266) .

I bet this is an AXIA processor and you can hit well over 1400 if you push it.

Be happy

Yo

Ok while i'm sitting in windows, the cpu runs at 49-50 solid. This is using a standard cooling fan. Is this acceptable???? Seems high to me. Should I invest in a better fan or something?.

VCore at 1.76
FSB at 133

Iwill KA266-R
1ghz Amd Athalon (200 fsb) running at 1.33 Ghz (133 FSB)
10 x 133

Guy's I need your input on this one.

I think you do have Axia chip with 266 mhz bus anyway , that is a good start and yes you do need better Heat Sink on there i will go for Thermo Engine Black model with Delta fan on there , and have a good circulation in your case , Your temp should be around

mb : 20 idle
CPU : 32 idle

For comfort Level ,

Check this spec out
www.geocities.com\maxoc1\maxoc1.html

Thanks for the help.
How good are the swiftechs? With this crappy cooler I was running (after benchmarking in 3dMark2001) at 52 but it quickly dropped to 48. Anyway I'm going to get a better fan.

If you have the dough and want an HSF that will last through several CPUs and motherboards, consider the MC-462A. It provides close to water cooling performance at about half the price of a good water cooling setup. Still, it's not cheap by any standard, but you get what you pay for. See my sig.

Hoot

Just ordered it. Pretty steep but if i can get 1.33 out of this thing its worth it. *I applied the formula

Cost of new 1.33 - cost of fan= I save money. =)

Also, this cpu peeks at about 55 C is it safe to run at this temp till i get the fan or should i clock down?

$ineX (Apr 10, 2001 07:01 p.m.):
Just ordered it. Pretty steep but if i can get 1.33 out of this thing its worth it. *I applied the formula

Cost of new 1.33 - cost of fan= I save money. =)

Also, this cpu peeks at about 55 C is it safe to run at this temp till i get the fan or should i clock down?

55 is a bit steep. If you can, just get a faster or bigger fan and mount that on your heatsink, or try to improve air circulation inside your case by using case fans.

Yo

Back