• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 850 cooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badger

[3]
I just got and 850 Duron with a KT7A mobo...
however it overheats when the case is closed up...so...I need to cool the case down...

I added 2 80 mm fans...one at the front pulling ai in...one at the back pushing it out....still not enough....the CPU runs at about 48C at idle...

I am running with the case open and a house fan pointed at it cooling things down...any ideas on how to cool things off more at a cheap price?

Should I add more fans, and if so, how should I position them within the case?

BTW...the case is a mid-tower

[/3]

A couple of things come to mind. Are those 80mm fans you added wimpy no-name fans or ones pushing in the 35-45cfm range? Pretty hard to beat the Panaflo 47cfm and the Sunon 42cfm fans. Both are available from:

You did not say what room temperature you have. I keep mine around 20C, but I have lots of personal insulation ;D

Secondly, how is the airflow path within your midtower? try to keep all the cabling tidy. The obstructions add up. Also, making the holes or slits in the front escutcheon bigger reduces the resistance to intake airflow. Axial fans do not perform well in the presence of resistance to airflow. If you do good work, you can enlarge the holes or slits and still have the case look good. Cooling is truly a "game of inches".

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 10, 2001 06:26 p.m.):
A couple of things come to mind. Are those 80mm fans you added wimpy no-name fans or ones pushing in the 35-45cfm range? Pretty hard to beat the Panaflo 47cfm and the Sunon 42cfm fans. Both are available from:

You did not say what room temperature you have. I keep mine around 20C, but I have lots of personal insulation ;D

Secondly, how is the airflow path within your midtower? try to keep all the cabling tidy. The obstructions add up. Also, making the holes or slits in the front escutcheon bigger reduces the resistance to intake airflow. Axial fans do not perform well in the presence of resistance to airflow. If you do good work, you can enlarge the holes or slits and still have the case look good. Cooling is truly a "game of inches".

Hoot

You should make both fans blow air INTO your case. Keep the pressure in there higher than the pressure outside of the case. That might help a bit.

Back