• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

! need info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

i am wondering what the maximum speed an agp card can take.. like if 70Mhz or so is too much or will agp just take a beating? i am wondering cause my board does not have a diviser past 1/5 so when trying to overclock i'm knocking the agp/pci up a bit... pci i have no worries though, not a single pci card in slot, everything on board besides my GF4 anyone any ideahs?

Just because it's built into the mobo doesn't mean it's immune to the PCI clock. All the onboard components run through the PCI bus anyways so you're still not gonna get very far. I believe AGP is a bit more tolerant of bus speeds so long as the card isn't overclocked as much in windows. someone else may be able to give you numbers on the max speed AGP can typically take but I know PCI usually gives out around 37-39.

From my experiance , NVIDIA cards are more tolerant on higher bus speeds(above 33/66) ; on the other hand ATI (newer Radeons) pretty much only like things in spec of 33/66 .
I have had plenty of both NVIDIA and (newer) ATI cards and this pretty well sums it up .

Hope this helps .. ;)

stereo555

hehe thanks guys.. backed of my FSB anyway cause it pushing it so far finally killed my main partition.. so i formated and running mandrake 9.1 now... havent been gaming much lateley so figured be a good learning experience and good way to fold... ;)

repilce said:
so i formated and running mandrake 9.1 now...

Sorry to be off topic here ... but how well do you like Mandrake 9.1? (thinking of Mandrake or SUSE)

TIA :D

stereo555

Sorry to be off topic here ... but how well do you like Mandrake 9.1?

I like it alot.. although something wierd is that i notice alot of more stuff is working write on this system than on my old Tbird 750... dont know what's up with that.. but mandrake has a lot of built in driver support and reconized everything on my comp cept form my built in raid.. if i were u and haven't used linux much then i would go with mandrake 9.1 or asp 9.1 i used asp for a while.. some of the settings are harder to deal with on asp , but it's pretty well put together.. note.. "i am a linux newb"

Back