• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I reach the upper limit on my CPU........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sfa ok

I have a 900 mhz TBird on an Abit KT7A board. I can bring it up to 1082 at 1.8v, and can't bring it higher without errors. I noticed that when I'm using my computer, whenever I go from idle to almost any kind of load, the pitch from my Delta 38 changes. Could my psu be my limiting factor, and/or is anything else possible? Thanks in advance.

That sounds to me like the Duron is drawing a lot of power when it's working hard and the Delta can't draw enough then. What watt PS do you have? I have a Duron 650@1020 with some case fans running off a 250w, but I don't know how long that's going to last. I really should get that Enermax 350w...

I ment to mention the watts, I really really did. I have a 300 watt AMD approved psu. And it's an Athlon, not a Duron.

Basic switching supply electronics. The +5 and +12 share the same Pulse Width Modulator (chopper) transistors in the PSU. When you draw more current on the +5 (read cpu load goes up) the voltage drops and the PWM increases it's drive to the circuitry. The load on the +12 has not gone up, but since it shares the PWM circuitry, the drive to it goes up also. The result is the +12V output on your PSU goes up. The fans develop their greatest speed in the last volt or so of the +12V feeding them. a small increase in voltage on the +12 provides a noticeable increase and hence audible change in the fans. Class Dismissed ;D

Hoot

What is the multiplier and the FSB set at???? I think that the chip could go higher, with proper settings. maybe you can up the core voltage and get it stable at higher speeds. What type/mhz of RAM are u using??????????

10.5x multiplier, 103 mhz fsb. I have somewhat PC100 memory (getting 256mb 133 from crucial soon.....), but the memory has gone to 110 without problems at a lower CPU multiplier. I haven't been able to get better results with higher voltage, but I do plan to do a burn-in next week.

Back