• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c duron 750 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!-=sky=-!

i have ASUS A7V mobo and AMD Duron 750
i m using the original fan now but i will replace it soon
how high can i get this thing to go at?
i m currently running it at 855 with temp between 59-61 no matter idle or full load

and second quesdtion, how u unlock chip to change multiplier? i dun really understand what exactly to do even after reading some of the posts

plz plz plz help
thx

You can typically get them up to 1 Ghz or a little more, but you should not do anything before you get those temp down alot. You find, that with adequate cooling, you'll be able to overclock it a lot further.

Hoot

Unlocking the multiplier really is as simple as it seems. Don't make it harder than it really is. Just take a mechanical HB lead pencil (.7mm or smaller) and cover the 4 cut lines that are the L1 bridges. Use a magnifying glass and good light because you'd be surprised what you miss with the naked eye. I used the pencil at first, but then after re-doing it a couple of times (mileage may vary) I just got a defogger repair kit from an automotive supply store and it worked beautifully the first time with no problems since then.

i just bought a FOP32 for my comp, the temp is around 55 now
i m using some thernal grease called STARS 350
is this temp ok?

and should i get some pc 166 ram? those are good for o/c i think, right?
or do i actually need it?

I wonder why the 750's won't overclock as well as the 600-650's. During the winter my 650 would hit 1100 no prob, but now that it's almost 80oF I can "only" hit 1020 before heat becomes an issue. Watercooling? Might be an option but I need a bigger case first.

skyline_gtr (Apr 12, 2001 08:00 a.m.):
i just bought a FOP32 for my comp, the temp is around 55 now
i m using some thernal grease called STARS 350
is this temp ok?

and should i get some pc 166 ram? those are good for o/c i think, right?
or do i actually need it?

I still think ur temps are to high. U should try to get some Artic Siver, and u should also lapp ur heat sink.
Do u have some case cooling? If u don't I think u should get some, cuz case cooling helps a lot.
I don't know if ur motherboard is one with a KT133 or a KT133A. If u have the A version, u can run at some high FSB speeds, then u can use the 166MHz ram, but if u don't have a A version u don't need those ram.

how do u lap the heat sink?
i read lots of posts about this but i never seemed to be able to find procedures on hwo to do it.........can some of u ppl plz help?

i dun have case cooling but i think my case is too small anyways.......the case is kinda too small b/c it's stuffed with wires........or actually, no where to stick the wires

oh yea, i can't afford artic silver.........=(
it's too expensive at where i live.......the FOP 32 costs a lot too but i managed to get enough money.....i dun get much b/c i m still 15 and i have no job.......

I'm looking for the url for the laping thing myself, I can't remember where i saw an article about it. I will keep looking, and post to u if I find it.

If u don't have money for some case cooling, I think u should try to remove one of ur case-side's, so u can get a little air inside that case. That does a 5C difference to me.
I think u should save up some money, and get some Artic Silver and some case cooling.

Cerwin AKA Walter:-( (Apr 12, 2001 04:16 p.m.):
I'm looking for the url for the laping thing myself, I can't remember where i saw an article about it. I will keep looking, and post to u if I find it.

If u don't have money for some case cooling, I think u should try to remove one of ur case-side's, so u can get a little air inside that case. That does a 5C difference to me.
I think u should save up some money, and get some Artic Silver and some case cooling.

my case sid is open already.....since my case is kinda broken b/c i tried ripped it apart last time....haha.........artic silver costs like 15$ here.......what case cooling should i get.......btw .....my case is kinda small

Well, I have a little case too, and I also have the side removed. I)'ve put a 150mm fan, that we usually use in our living room, to blow in on my motherboard, that helps a lot on my temps. But if u want to put the side on again, I think u should get some 80mm fans, to push and pull some air around in ur case.

skyline_gtr (Apr 12, 2001 10:19 p.m.):
my case sid is open already.....since my case is kinda broken b/c i tried ripped it apart last time....haha.........artic silver costs like 15$ here.......what case cooling should i get.......btw .....my case is kinda small

The article talks about lapping a slot A athlon, but the procedure is the same for a hsf. Don't lap your socket A chip though - you'll kill it.

I used to have a mini tower case, where the psu was actually next to the cpu hsf, not above it - this restricted airflow around the cpu fan, and heated that area up as well (psus get hot!). Combined with the cpu being right at the top of the case, with all the hot air, my temps were around 55C+ even with my PAL6035. Cutting a blowhole for an 80mm fan directly above the cpu in the case dropped temps to 45C - not bad :)

If you lap your hsf and get a bit of case cooling - just one or two 80mm fans would make a difference if used carefully - I'm sure you can get temps down to mid 40's. Then you could oc that sucker!

Here's a couple more articles you might find interesting, about case cooling and lapping:
http://www.wildandyc.co.uk/ (look under 'cooling')

Back