• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i put socket a spacer between tbird 800 and alpha ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason

just wandering if i should put one on or not its for my grandma and grandpa
i bought one but is it worth it ?

Jason (Apr 12, 2001 09:33 a.m.):
just wandering if i should put one on or not its for my grandma and grandpa
i bought one but is it worth it ?

It can't hurt to try, but watch you're temps. I've heard that those things have a tendancy to raise them.

The general feeling I have gotten from reviews of the copper spacers is "Don't Use 'Em." Yeah, you hear horror stories about crushed/chipped cores and dead CPU's, but to tell you the truth, if you're careful when you put your HSF on and you aren't constantly messing with it, you should be ok without. Most certainly if they raise temps with your particular setup.

SickBoy

Copper spacers will keep your Core from being crushed, but will cause your temps to rise. This is because your heatsink is mostly aluminum and conducts less efficiently than the copper. Thus the heat goes from the aluminum in your hsf to the spacer which radiates the heat back into the cpu, which is bad and raises the temps. Just be careful, the alphas are not know to cruch cores like the FOP 38 and especially the Gorbs. You should be more than fine without one. Be sure to use some thermal compound like the stuff at the shack or Arctic Silver II depending on how crazy you want to go. Even the tape is ok if you are not overclocking.

Hey guys. Since you guys are talking about copper shims, I have a question for you. When I install my copper shim do I need to put that white thermo paste staff (not AS II), on both sides of the copper shim? The side facing the cpu and the side facing the heatsink?

Thanks.

Primal (Apr 12, 2001 10:36 p.m.):
Hey guys. Since you guys are talking about copper shims, I have a question for you. When I install my copper shim do I need to put that white thermo paste staff (not AS II), on both sides of the copper shim? The side facing the cpu and the side facing the heatsink?

Thanks.

No, I don't think you'll need to do that. In fact, thermal paste is bad for making actual contact with the resistors or any electronic contacts with/on the CPU. Just use thermal paste on the die. Don't over-use it, though. You won't want to spill it beyond he die itself. Good luck.

Back