• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slot A 750MHZ voltage problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
B

bob

i overclocked it with GFD
(northwin rev 3.0) to 850Mhz
and it runs pretty stable except:

(1) when browsing web, it sometimes locks up, only mouse can move.

(2) but playing games never has a problem, very smooth.

i have not had any problems
before i overclocked. but i wonder if this is really a problem caused by overclocking? so i took off the GFD card to let it run at default 750MHZ, ---it locks up sometimes too when i browsing the web!!!

but one thing i noticed is the voltage of the cpu is pretty high by default: 1.85v when overclocked to 850Mhz, and 1.75v when i took off the GFD to let it run at default 750Mhz.
i don't remember what's the default voltage before i overclocked it, but i think it should not be 1.75v, is that possible that the GFD will change the default voltage of the CPU even i take it off???

i also wonder if it is not the problem of overclocking, maybe it is the network problem? will network problem locks up my machine?

another only change i made to my machine except overclocking is change from PCI v3 video card to AGP geforce card. but i can run 3dmark 2000 for hours without lock up, why it only locks up when i browsing the web?

please help!! thanks !!!

I dont think that its a GFD problem-thats a good product for a good chip. If it locks up without the GFD then id say is a compatibility problem of some sort. Maybe run windows update-for some of the internet bug fixes-try using IE 6 instead of 5 maybe??

Once you remove the GFD from the chip, it has no influence on the chip at all. this sounds more like a software type of problem, as LikuidFusion says. IE can cause problems like this on occasion.

The Default voltage for your 750 Mhz Athlon should be 1.60/1.65 V but shurely not 1.75 I would try to run the 850 with not more than 1.80 V.
I am running a 650 Slot A@875 with 7x125 and 1.85 V. It´s completely stable.
Keep trying!!!

Memory issue...

Most logical is a simple software problem, IE or something. But it also can be a memory problem. I have the experience that when I mix different kinds of RAM, my computer runs stable, except for browsing and using Explorer (not internet explorer). If you have differend brands/sizes RAM mixed, try removing one of them. Succes!

cool, guys, thank you very much for all the
information and suggestions!

i have updated my IE, but still locks up occusionally,
but i think the memory could be the problem, since
i mixed the kingston pc100 with the IBM pc100.

and i even suspected my Ethernet card, and swithed
it to another PCI slot...

anyway, machine is machine, alwyas acts in its
own mind, so hard to understand it sometimes.

thanks again, guys.

Back