• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron 750@904 That's all I can squeeze out. Any suggestions..............Please!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PasoDuron750

Duron 750@904 That's all I can squeeze out. Any suggestions..............Please!!

Ok here’s what I did. I have a Duron 750 on an Abit KT7A mobo. I’m running 128MB of Mushkin Basic Memory. I’m running a volcano II HSF. Windows ME.

Yesterday I tried changing the FSB in the soft menu from 100/33 MHz to 133/33 MHz. As soon as I did this it wouldn’t post. I was unable to get back in the bios using the insert key. So I tried to clear the C-mos, no luck there. I thought maybe I needed the L1 bridges closed so I took off the HSF and closed the L1’s. Well after I put it back together I was able to get back in the bios with the insert key. I had lowered the multiplier to 5.5 per my brother in law. Well anyway I put everything back where it was normally. After playing with it some more I raised the multiplier to 8X100 and in the CPU FSB Plus mhz I started with increasing the FSB 5 at a time, 5 worked great 10 worked great 15 it wouldn’t post. So I have it at 13 now so I’m running 8X113 so I’m running at 904MHZ. This is all she’ll do. I haven’t bumped up my voltage. My memory is CAS 3 Mushkin Basic PC133. All dram timings are at Turbo. That made a big difference on my memory benchmarks. If anyone knows what I’m doing wrong I would love to hear about it.

System Specs:
Duron 750
Abit KT7A
128mb Basic Mushkin PC133
8X multiplier
FSB 113
Voltage CPU Default 1.6v
I/o voltage 3.4v
4way interleave enable
idle temp 27c
full load 35c

Codes off the CPU
0750 AUT18
AKCA 0045VPBW
1999 AMD

Any info would be most appreciated.

Set the ram to host-clk, I think what happened is when you changed the setting it was probably still set to host-clk+pci, that's 166MHZ!!! lol. I have done the same thing a few times. Also, bump the volts up some, it will help you reach higher speeds. At 113 MHZ fsb, you are running the pci at 37MHZ, thats why when you went to 115 it wouldn't post. Abit says that the cpu fsb plus doesn't affect the pci, but it does, Abit confirmed it. At 133, the pci hits the new divider and goes back to 33 MHZ. If you lower the multiplier and run the fsb at 133 you should be ok.

Fiz

For sure, definitely bump up that Vcore.

Also, I'm not totally sure about Durons and the 133A chipset. I think Durons are 200FSB only chips, so I'm not sure if you overdid it trying to get a 266 out of it (a 266 TBird is certainly a different story). Besides, from what I've heard and my experience with a D750 and an AbitKT7 (non-RAID, non-A) MB, 750's aren't the best overclockers (600's seem to be king). The fastest speed I ever got was 970 (really 969... 9.5 X 102). Posts @ 1000, but no-go. I think asking to get a gig from a D750 *might* be a tall order, especially @ an FSB setting of 133/266 ....
BUT, on a positive note, you got 904 @ a low voltage. You see, I require 1.75Vcore to run anything from 900-927 (max 99.9% stable speed @ 1.75 for my setup.. also a lower CPU code, if that matters much). So I reiterate, definitely bump up that Vcore.
Sorry, I can't help much with the "A" chipset stuff, but I hope this helped a bit.

K-Lined4Lyf

I agree with the above post about the voltage, generally you can go the max onboard setting of 1.85v with no problems as long as you watch the temperatures.
There is another issue concerning the use of a 100MHz chip at 133FSB, I read an article a while back about this. It seems that when using the jumperfree modes, the BIOS first looks to the multiplier default setting to initiate the boot proccess. With a CPU designed to run at 100FSB, the default setting could be too high to boot. For instance, if you had a 700MHz, 100FSB chip, you would be trying to boot at 7*133 / 931MHz, which may be too high. From what I've seen in my own experience, you may be off better to use the jumper mode, that way you would be able to control the multiplier in the boot process. I'll try to see if I can find the article that I got that information from and post it in the future if you need it.

Keep in mind that the DURON 750's as a group are not known to be as good a candidate for overclocking as some of the other chips such as the 600's.

Before I would give up or try anything else, I would definetly set that voltage to as high as neccessary to get it stable, I don't think you'll have any problem getting to a gig with that chip. You're almost there.

Good luck!

Back