• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking k6/2 400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badberry

in attempting to overclock my k6/2 400, i set the bus to 105 mhz, left the multiplier at 4, which gave me a speed of 420 mhz. Windows booted fine, but has been really unstable-lots of freezes, crashes, 3d mark wont run. Is there any way to increase the stability? Or am i stuck with my current speed? Would i be better to put the bus back to 100 mhz and increase the multiplier? Any help would be appreciated.

K6-2's are not known to be that great for overclocking, I've heard that the K6 line of chips don't like a lot of FSB. That being said you may want to try the established methods and see what you can get.

First thing to do would be make sure that you have adequate cooling, try one of the better HSF's from a socket "A" such as a Global Win FOP32 or the like. Start off with the multipliers, try 4.5, then increase the core voltage a bit, .1v at a time until you get stable. Go up from there, one step at a time.

I've had good luck with the K6III's, getting a 350 to 450MHz and a "+" series 450 to 600MHz with no problems after the cooling issues were addressed.

Good luck!

The K6 II Series is know to be very bad overlockers.
The best, I could get out of my own 350 was something like 425. You´ll need better cooling at first, then you could try to raise the core voltage a bit, perhaps 0.1 up to 0.3. But always have an eye on your temp´s
By the way, how hot is your CPU at the moment?
FSB or Multiplier, good question..try out both..FSB will get you bigger performance gains.
Keep trying

Back