• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outpost.com bait and switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aktunka

Ok, so a few weeks ago someone posted a cyberdeal for a twin pack of Mushkin pc3200 black level II low latency ram, 1GB for 229.00 from Outpost.com. I checked it out and yes, the description listed was for the black level II ram, the picture was for the black level II ram, and the detailed description was for the black level II ram. Sounds like an excellent deal. So, I check the thread again, and some people seem to have a problem with Outpost.com and saying that the ram they advertise is not what they will actually send you. I couldn't believe that as we had not had any issues with orders from outpost.com before, so I was sure these concerns were unfounded. However, I am practical, so just in case, before I placed my order, I called and talked to their customer service and was assured that yes, the ram on sale at that price was the level II black. I actually called two more times and talked to two other seperate people and was also assured both times that it WAS the black level II. At this point I figured I had assured myself that it was as advertised, so I clicked to make the purchase. At the time of purchase, it stated that the ram was in stock ready to ship. After I made the order, I got the email thanking me, and another one a day later saying that the ram was back ordered....so much for in stock ready to ship. Just in case, I went ahead and went back to look at it to see if it was in stock on the website still, and I was surprised, because now the description for the ram was for the blue line value ram, although the detailed description was still a cut and paste from the Black level II ram, and the picture was still the black level II ram. I immediately called their customer service number and we went over what I had ordered and what that product number actually corresponded to now. The guy on the phone couldn't give me a definite answer and was supposed to call me back. He never did call back. I called again the next day and asked to speak with a supervisor because I felt as though I was a victim of the bait and switch and never heard back from them. I called a third time and asked for a supervisor and then waited for a call back. He actually did call back on a Saturday to my work number. Monday I tried calling them back and no luck getting them to return my call, but today finally they did. I spoke with George who is a manager in their customer service department. Even though I had proof of what I had purchased as compared to what they actually wanted to sell me, George refused to make the situation right. I printed out the webpage when I placed the order. I verified with their customer service (which they claim is the best in the industry haha) three times before placing my order of what I was going to get. I do not know what else I could have done. I offered to George that the only acceptable resolution to this (since they said that they do not carry the Black Level II ram any longer) was to either special order it or to provide me with the equivalent in a different brand. George's response was to say that no he would not do that and that instead he could cancel my order for me.

So, the moral of this story is to avoid Outpost.com. Their customer service is a joke and should actually be referred to as Customer No-service. You can do everything right on your end, and they will deliberately try to screw you over. If I had never checked the website that second time, they would have sent me the value line ram when I had actually ordered the Black Level II. This is a classic example of the Bait and Switch (they have changed the site to reflect what they are ACTUALLY selling at this point) and they do not make the situation right even after you discover their wrongdoing. So, for the measely difference of about 60 dollars (the price difference to substitute the twin pack of Corsair PC3200) George has not only lost the business of myself but also the business of the company I work for. We usually spend at least 4000 dollars a year or so at outpost.com, but I am so angry at this lack of customer service from George and Outpost in general that I would rather pay a few dollars extra somewhere else and be assured of quality customer service instead.

Aktunka

it's fry's online... what did you expect? fry's is a PIECE OF SH#T vendor and i wouldn't pee on one of their buildings if it was on fire.

Well, I would have expected to get at least as good of customer service as I receive at their store here locally. I actually have not had any problems with Fry's here as they frequently have some good prices and deals, have always had good customer service locally, and have not hassled me on any returns that needed to be made.. Also whenever looking for a specific part lot number or something (like the SL6RZ processor I got) they have always been accomodating. But, anyhow, Outpost was a huge hassle and even though any "mistake", even though I think it was bait and switch, was completely on their end. The proper way to handle something when you make the mistake is to apologize and make good on what you originally agreed to if it is at all possible. They did not. I have contacted the BBB and been forwarded on to the BBB office for the state of CT where these folks are located. If nothing else, I am going to at least inconvenience some of them for being a bunch of lying *******s! hehe.

Aktunka

Way back, long time ago, I ordered a TH711-r (478) from Outpost. Was going to be my first REAL rig. When it came it was a TH7 non-R and it was a socket 423 board. Needless to say, I was frosted. When I e-mailed them they offered to pay for shipping back, but they didn't have the TH711 to replace it.

Since that time, I don't deal with Outpost, and THOROUGHLY check EVERYTHING I buy from Fry's. (Don't buy ANYTHING with the "opened" stickers on them.)

steve

Frys is horrid to buy items from and I only buy from them as a last resort. I had to get a cpu once from Frys, it was fried upon purchase yet the employees and the manager insisted it was checked before it left the "cage" and placed in my hand at the register.
So how did I fry the cpu while holding it in the plastic container in front of the cashier?
Idiots.

From empty boxes sold as "returned stickered items" to bait and switch or selling known defective merchandise as new I have no idea how Frys stays in buisness and an active retailer.

it's just plain and simple: if you want to support a company that cares less about the consumer, by all means go to fry's and give them your money. yeah, sure, some people here will have fond stories and memories of their experience at fry's... but, mark my words, one day you too will get fried... LMFAO

Ahh the fond memories of Fry's.

I remember a month or so ago I almost got in a fist fight with the store manager. He got in my face because I told him one of workers insinuated that I had stolen merchandise. I had a MOBO go bad after 2 weeks and even though I had the receipt the serial number didn’t show that it was ever sold from the store.. :mad:

I decided on calling the corporate number instead and it got all ironed out.

Back