• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vapochill Modification: Evap above Compressor, access ports.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fushyuguru

I would like to talk this over a little bit with some of you knoledgeable peoples about this Vapochill modification before I start cutting pipes.

Also, no offense, but please keep the " buy a prometeia" comments to a minimum please. This thread is about a Vapochill mod, not a buying decision. Sorry.

First off, the idea is to convert the Vapochill PE system to run underneath, next to or anywhere it wants to in relation to the compressor and evaporator orientation. Then to add fill ports so refridgerant can be added, drained and tweaked at will (I just passed section 609 cert several nights ago so I can buy some refridgerants.).

If you dont already know, Asetek left out of their design, a return line loop that will acumulate excess refridgerant dripping down from the evap when the system is off. The loop acts as a trap, much like the s-shaped trap underneath your sink, this way refridgerant doesnt go strait into the compressor as a liquid and create starting problems.

So, the task at hand is to drain the system, and splice in an extra 360 degree loop/low spot into the return line. What I would also like to do is to extend the return line about 3-4" upwards and then reatach the flex hosing onto this. That way, the Vapochill can run underneath of a computer case, like a prometeia (but isnt a prometeia).

Heres some pictures of the return line and flex hosing:
172.jpg

The capillary tubing:
171.jpg

The evaporator:
175.jpg

and where the capillary tubing enters the return line:
173.jpg

Now what I would like to talk about, is the best approach to this. The big problem being that the cappilary tubing runs down the center of the flex hosing and then exits at the spot in the picture above.

What would be the best solution is one that would involve not cutting the cappilary tubing. But if necissary, will be done.

If you have worked on Vapochills before, any suggestions would be welcome on how to approach this, as I would love to be sure on what to do before attacking the solution.

Also, Im not sure how the capilary tube attaches to the evaporator, I prob wouldnt find out until I cut into the system.

Thanks ahead of time OC.

(Yeah, its the same thread as the one over on XS. Covering all bases.)

sorry to be off topic, i dont really know about a vapochill unit.
but my question is how hard was that test? and what kind of refrigerants can you get now? can you tell me a little more about how hard it was, cost, stuff like that.
thanks alot

laters.
t

Yeah sorry, I already worked it all out over at XS.

Ive got all the necisary tools. Ill be brazing and weve worked it out so theres no need to redo the cap tube.

The effectiveness comes into play as to keep liquid refridgerant from entering the compressor after turning the systems off. The compressor is made to compress vapor not liquid, so it can create undue wear on the compressor and significantly increase starting times if this happens.

IM just adding a low/spot trap and extending the line upwards to give myself extra reach to the CPU socket.

Youre correct though, I plan on splicing right after the compressor before the accumulator which has the capilary tubing wraped around it.

Nice system in the pic. Whos is it? Looks like a sweet cascade. Everythings new, mucho $$. Also it doesnt look like those joints were brazed on that system, probably pre tinned and then soldered.

TGP: The test should be really easy if have a good memory. Took me about 40 minutes of scanning through the material. Then 15 min for the test. Its 25 questions, costs $20 and then youre MVAC certified. You can buy stuff like R134, R12 ect in 20lbs containers. Its the section 609 cert and you can find it on the EPA website.

Last edited:
oh cool. just what i needed to know. thx!
one more question. why didnt you opt for getting the certification that allows you to get better refrigerants like r404a, 500's and r22?

laters.
t

tgp said:
oh cool. just what i needed to know. thx!
one more question. why didnt you opt for getting the certification that allows you to get better refrigerants like r404a, 500's and r22?

laters.
t

Its not online and it doesnt take less than an hour. Thats HVAC and that will be next.

gotcha, you have to go for a designated test center or is it mail in or something?
im thinking its harder right?

Im not sure if its harder. I just took the one that was online. I have to look into it though. Part of it is that the "better" refridgerants are CFC's, meaning they dont break up into the atmosphere. Many they dont make anymore, theyre only recycled. I believe R404 is only recycled now but they sell clean bottles just at very high prices.

So Im sure it takes a bit more than an hour of half *** work to get that cert.

Though 609 is good enough to get some Refridgerants and at least play and work on your rig. Recharge them ect.

Gotta start somewhere.

tgp said:
true. r22 is a pretty good refrigerant. you could fill most compressors with that and get great results. have you tried buiding your own system yet?

check this out:
http://r22.org/categories.php?maingroup=+Refrigerant

Na, but Im well capable of it. Just need time/money for components. Id like to make a cascade system next summer when I have some time. Something I can benchmark with and design/test evaps with. Ive had a few designs Id like to try. I wanna get them milled when I get back to school.

Excellent link *Bookmark*

Oh and my mistake (Funny cuz Im MVAC certified), the test was only about MVAC refridgerants, recovery, handling, vocab and history, but you can buy ANY refridgerants as long as theyre 20lbs or less containers.

Last edited:
Fushyuguru said:

Oh and my mistake (Funny cuz Im MVAC certified), the test was only about MVAC refridgerants, recovery, handling, vocab and history, but you can buy ANY refridgerants as long as theyre 20lbs or less containers.

:eek:
you can get any refrigerant with the 608 cert!?
so your saying after an hour of studying/testing i can go get 404 or 500's?
:cool:

Back