• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im confused..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BiMM

I have DSL service from Speakeasy.net, and one of the Prestige DSL modems that they provide. When I try to hook up the DSL modem straight to the computer, the computer doesn't recognize that there is an ethernet cable plugged in. At first I thought there might be something wrong with the cable modem/ethernet drivers on the mobo. For the heck of it, I installed a Netgear 4-Port HUB that I had laying around between the 2, and for some strange reason, it works just fine. I know very little about networking and whatnot, but this seems really weird to me.. any ideas?

I just bought a Netgear 4-Port Router to install, and it doesnt work either with just the dsl modem and the router.. but if I include the hub it works just fine.. *sigh*

What OS are you using?

I know in winXP theres the network setup wizard, and when me and my friends go up to our cabin we bring our little hub, rather than the router we usually use, and sometimes we have to run the setup wizard and select "hub" from the options, I dunno where it is....but anyway, u might try the Network setup wizard and see if that helps any.

Did you use the cable that came with the modem to connect to your PC?

Ditto to what srs said: try to use the cable that came with the modem. Some modems use a crossover cable instead of regular patch cable. I had the same problem with my Speakeasy Zylink (or whatever) modem.

ditto again on using the cable that came with the modem. speakeasy gives you a crossover cable with your modem run that from the modem to your comp or hub. a normal patch cable from modem to comp won't work

Definitely sounds like the cabling. Either that or your nic is trying to autodetect duplex and speed and the modem is supplying an out of range signal so it can't decide what to do.

Duh.. Ima dope. So I should run the crossover that I got from Speakeasy from the modem to the router, then use the cable that came with the router to go from that to the computer.. Am I on the right track now? lol

BiMM said:
Duh.. Ima dope. So I should run the crossover that I got from Speakeasy from the modem to the router, then use the cable that came with the router to go from that to the computer.. Am I on the right track now? lol

yes

Back