• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**DEAD DEAL** DVD+ Burner 10$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TigerDirect would like to sincerely thank you for your patronage and we want to assure your satisfaction on this and every order you place with us. This email contains an update for order XXXXXX.
[/QShould you have any additional questions regarding your order, please feel free to visit our customer help pages at http://www.tigerdirect.com/help/. Questions to which you cannot find an answer online can be directed at our friendly 24 hour customer service staff at 800-800-8300. Please refer to order number XXXXXXX when contacting us for assistance.
UOTE]

Well I received this email...but I don't know how much they charged me. I looked at my visa and it's NOT charged yet.

I X out the tracking number of course. It's shipped ground UPS.

My Visa nas not been charged the amount but it still is there and pending on my credit card - Tiger Direct cancelled the order (I looked at the status) but did not release the Visa transaction yet...I asked them to cancel the transaction - it might just take a day or 2 though :(

wannaoc said:
Why waste the time and effort to sue when if it did go to court you would spend more on a laywer than the drive is worth. Tigerdirect is a crap comany, you take your chances on quality as well as customer support.

i wasn't suggesting they sue, i was rather leaving that option open for those who may see fit. i don't have the time, money, or heart to sue over a 120 dollar drive, but i wouldn't be shy about suggesting the idea to the retailer to see if someone would offer the item at the advertised pice, for those who ordered it at that time, or as mentioned above, maybe even pass it along to those customers at a reduced rate. that would sound like a fair idea to me.;)

madsam said:

i wasn't suggesting they sue, i was rather leaving that option open for those who may see fit. i don't have the time, money, or heart to sue over a 120 dollar drive, but i wouldn't be shy about suggesting the idea to the retailer to see if someone would offer the item at the advertised pice, for those who ordered it at that time, or as mentioned above, maybe even pass it along to those customers at a reduced rate. that would sound like a fair idea to me.;)

at cost value or so...good idea to me.

If i get this drive for $10 i would be happy because i got myself a great deal. but I don't feel entirely good about because I benefit from someone else's mistake. albeit, they make a killing off all of us.
But some programmer over there is probably getting his butt chewed off because of his mistakes.

OK here goes...stay away from tigerdirect, period! I wish there's a way that I can tell everyone to stay away from them.

They just billed my visa for $130...no, not the $10 or even the sale price of $110 ...but $130 which includes the $10 original charge, plus the sale price of the unit at $110 + $10 shipping and handling...

Another word, they billed me for two. Of course I can talk to Visa and contest the charge at which I should be obligated to only pay $10. But if tigerdirect was nice about this, they should contact me and tell me that they've made a mistake. But, no they never contacted me..

I wonder what I should do next. Tigerdirect just sorta got on my bad side by trying to stick $130 to me

NO LIFE said:
Uhh....im pretty sure they have to honor the price they posted when you made the purchase. They cant just take back YOUR order because THEY made a mistake. Same thing happened to me at circuit city. Got a really awsome printer for $200 cheaper than normal b/c they made a typo.

*No they don't and even if they had to, TigerDirect is not the best of vendors, and their customer support is aweful, and some of their supervisors are rude and ignorant.

*Typographical Errors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the event a product is listed at an incorrect price or with incorrect information due to typographical error or error in pricing or product information received from our suppliers, TigerDirect shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for product listed at the incorrect price. TigerDirect shall have the right to refuse or cancel any such orders whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is canceled, TigerDirect shall immediately issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of the charge.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/aboutus/legal.asp#errors

i never shopped at tiger-direct, and i never will....thanks to you guys.., thanks for the tip, and i hope more and more people see this thread before shopping there . it just may save time, money, and aggravation in the future....;)

Wow.....tiger direct you suck big time. *adds url to blacklist*

I would definetly call them on false advertising and that baiting thing. Thats exactly what they did.

NO LIFE said:
Wow.....tiger direct you suck big time. *adds url to blacklist*

I would definetly call them on false advertising and that baiting thing. Thats exactly what they did.

I don't know if I would call it that but...they even overcharged me $20 extra!!!

They have the b**** to NOT contact me and ship the merchandise anyway...and then on top of it, overcharged me.

I wish there was some ways I can warn most other consumers about them.

False Advertising is against the law. I work in a computer store, and we've made mistakes before, but we've all been told, if we make a mistake, and a customer catches it before we do, we have to honor it. That's the rule from our bosses, as to stop any potential upset customers, and lawsuits.

Better to make a complaint to the better business bureau than to sue them though, would cost you too much to sue them.

We onse sold a wirless router with built in print server for $99.99CDN, because someone forgot to put the 1 in front of it. Our cost on the item was 170.

they don't have to honor anything. You agreed to the terms when you bought the item.... I dunno why people always think that just because they bought the item the vendor has to give it to them at that price.
And to sue? Thats the stupidest thing i ever heard. The most you will get out of it, is that that DVD burner for $10. But you spent close to $1000 on the lawsuit, lawyer court fees, and your time. Yea, makes sense :rolleyes:

This is just like what happened with Best Buy a little while ago...It cracks me up every time i see someone say "well if you bought then they have to give it to you at that price". And even after orion25 show you people the agreement that you all agreed to in order to buy the drive, some still argued. Unbelievable.

F4 that is good bussiness ethics, but if you have 10,000 people order that drive at a $100. loss, i gurantee you that no company would honor that.

the idea of suing comes from the idea that a retailer can easily make a mistake, but some do this on purpose. the idea is...if a seller advertises an item for a rediculously low price, it will in fact attract a lot of attention. if ...lets say...1000 people were to order that item...some will still buy the item at the original price, and some folks might be drawn to that item due to the error, and then decide to buy that item at it's original price......this is all a scam to get more sales from folks who otherwise wouldn't buy that item. then, we have those who are not checking their statements, and therefore paid the full amount, plus got screwed for an additional 20 bucks. it doesn't seem "plain stupid" to sue retailers for this "illegal" act. it is a scam, and should not be mistaken for anything else. they most likely sold more of them than they would have if the "error" never occured.

a perfect example is supermarkets, and big chains like them.....in my area, if the gov. checks prices in a store, and finds 3 incorrect prices, they will shut the store down, until the entire inventory is reviewed. this would be a comparison of the "advertised" price, and the actual "scanned" price at the register.

some folks, and some organizations will gladly sue a company for false advertisement if the store makes it a habit of making mistakes that they profit from.

eh?, i think it's stupid to assume the consumer is powerless in situations like this. as mentioned by another member...there is always a class action suit. i also would like to comment on your idea that the most a person can get is that item at the advertised price...and you assume it would never happen, because it would make the retailer go broke.. does the law step aside for a retailer who digs a bigger hole than they can climb out of? you are basically saying that the consumer gets screwed because we wouldn't want to have a business close over an "error". this is plain stupid, if you ask me.

i'm sure this retailer has done this before, and will continue to screw the customers til someone logs enough info to launch a lawsuit, and i doubt it will be an individual who does the suing........there are laws, and when a law is broken, we are not all going to step aside and get screwed and not hold the retailer responsible. they have shown characteristics that look like errors, but it's never the retailer that is getting screwed by their errors, but rather, they make errors and profit from them.........sonds like intentional errors to me....but what do i know....lol

I understand where you coming from. But i was assuming this wasn't an on-purpose act. People do make mistakes. Best buy did this same thing last thanksgiving day, they posted the gforce4 ti 4600 for like $50 or some odd outragously low price. And people all bought 3 or 4, knowing full well it was a pricing error, and got mad when best buy refused to ship at that price. It was pur accidental. And i was assuming this was also.

I also do not think that the consumer is powerless. If they are in fact doing that lure customer in, then yes that is wrong and there should be action taken. However you will have to prove that they intentionaly posted the wrong price to get customers to their site.

i agree with you. quite some time ago, i went to sears with my dad, and my brother. there were 2 electric razors on sale, and the one for 60 bucks, was tagged as 20 bucks, and the 20 dollar one was tagged as 60 bucks. we each grabbed one of the 60 dollar ones for 20 bucks, and the manager had to be called because the cashier wasn't understanding the error. when the manager saw the sales signs were showing the sales, but the 2 item numbers were wrong, he honored the 3 razors we wanted. we got the better ones for 20 bucks each.

this is the difference between a good retailer and a bad one....don't get me wrong, i do have my complaints about sears these days, but that specific store took good care of us that day, and of course, they wasted no time getting the stock guy to replace the signs with correct ones.

as for best buy, to me, they seem to be a decent retailer to deal with, however, i don't hear the same about tigerdirect. i have never done business with them, but i am quick to judge them this way due to what folks here at the forums have experienced with them. if newegg did the same error, i would think it was an error, and not a ploy to get business.

something about charging the full amount, plus 20 bucks more doesn't sit well with me, it just adds to the "error" that got folks to make the purchase. although, i have no hard evidence they were pulling a bait and switch. ;)

therudyq3 said:

I don't know if I would call it that but...they even overcharged me $20 extra!!!

They have the b**** to NOT contact me and ship the merchandise anyway...and then on top of it, overcharged me.

I wish there was some ways I can warn most other consumers about them.

You can go to www.resellerratings.com , and post a review of your transaction.

I can't really view this as a legitimate condemnation of TD though. They have their problems, and it sounds to me as though they could have handled this better. Maybe contacting customers and warning them what the actual price would be, maybe offering them a discount, free shipping, something like that.
But this was obviously a mistake, (come on, free?) and knowing it was a mistake and trying to take advantage?

The test is weither or not a resonable person would expect the price of a dvd burner to be 0 dollars - a 20 dollar rebate. The answer to this would be no. No way in hell to prove intentional misrepresentation, no damages to be recovered except the shipping and restocking fee to return the item. Your screwed either way, and should know better then to expect things for free.

Unless someone here remembers a similar recent incident (or incidents) from tigerdirect, there's no reason to freak out. I have minimal faith in tigerdirect and am mildly suspicious that they did this on purpose, but I don't hold them above it and I don't really care.
If any of you are dead-set on suing them, gather some evidence of this error (names of phone reps you called, credit card charges, stuff that can't be faked easily) and keep an eye out for any other similar errors in the near future. Go talk to a lawyer to see how much evidence and how many errors you need before a court will hear your case.

Elephanthead said:
The test is weither or not a resonable person would expect the price of a dvd burner to be 0 dollars - a 20 dollar rebate. The answer to this would be no. No way in hell to prove intentional misrepresentation, no damages to be recovered except the shipping and restocking fee to return the item. Your screwed either way, and should know better then to expect things for free.

ever visit fatwallet.com? there are sometimes listings for folks who bought a said item, did a price match through "compusa"(for example), or "staples", and they clain to have recieved the said item for free, and some even reported getting a rebate that was more than the actual amount spent out of pocket. there was a similar thread on this in cyber deals where most folks got the item for free, and anywhere from 7-11 dollars profit after the rebate.

so, no, it isn't off the wall to "expect" to get a free item...even if it's a dvd burner. do a google search for "free", and see how many sites actually offer so-called free items. sure, there is usually a loophole there somewhere, but some only want your personal info to spam your e-mail and your mailbox. this sounds wrong, but most companies that spam you have given you anything in return....

just some thoughts. also, you are looking it it closed minded in a sense......the fact is, even if someone was to sue, maybe the suit wouldn't get you a drive for free, plus a 20 dollar rebate, but you might get a big reality check towards tigerdirect. some law suits are for the principal, and not for the personal gain or money aspect of it. sometimes people sue to make a change for the better, and some folks actually spend money to make their point heard in this manner.

it is all about what an individual expects to gain. i'm sure if my goal was to have them hit with a fine for some form of fraudulent attempt to boost sales, they may be prompt to offer you a free item "off the record" to drop the lawsuit, and avoid public embarrassment for the company. this is called a payoff.....it happens all the time, and is sometimes referred to as a "settlement". either way, if i was to sue in a small claims court for the said item at the said price, i would most likely lose in court, but then again, if it was going to even make it into a court room, i would think in the best interest of the company, they would most likely give you what you want as a 100-200 dollar item would be cheaper than the company wasting time, and much more money to fight an individual in court.

as for me, i am not the suing type, but i am the boycott type, and after hearing all this about tigerdirect, they will never see my name, nor will they ever see my money....i can agree with you 100% on that part.;)

Back