10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile

making your own noise dampening mats?

Is there a way to make your own sound dampening mat from the foam usually found in boxes? My computer fans are just too unbearable along with the noise level my PSU makes. Thanks.
    MSI P7N-SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ stock speed
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2 800
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7

10 Year Badge
    You can use carpet to make sound dampenign mats. It works great if you have a thick carpet. I dont think the foam would work. It dosnt look like it wuld absorb vibrations.
    I can make something from nothing!

0 = n - n

This is going to sound crazy... Lead sheet works like a champ!

I used it alot instead of Dynamat in my custom speakers.

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Won't the carpet kind of wear out and go on the components to short the componetns though? That's what im' afraid of if i use your carpet method Constant. Also Uber, where do you get lead sheets? Are they expensive or even dangerous to handle since it's lead? THanks.
    MSI P7N-SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ stock speed
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2 800
    896MB nVidia GTX260
    OCZ GameXStream 700W
    NEC-3550A BURNER
    12x BTC DVD-ROM
    1TB Seagate SATA HDD

Heat at sup3rcarrx7

Lead sheet is used as flashing material. you can pick it up at roofing suppliers for pretty cheap. As far as being dangerous... wash your hands when your done handeling it, and obviously don't go chewing on the stuff (don't ask me how I know it's sweet).

Try here
    http://www.casecooler.com/anakacabmat.html

Not too bad of a price
    and a hell of a lot safer the LEAD.
    ASUS P4P800Dlx. P4-2.8C running ;)
    2GB mem PC3200;x1650pro w512 ram and vg700 cooler
    3 Sycthe 800 rpm fans at 12v :sn:
    250GB,250gb,750gb Plextor 716a, and Samsung cd/dvd combo,Zalman 7700AlCu. Idle 86F - load 118F. Ambient 72F :cool:
    Do you realize what we have discovered?? The background noise of the universe is a LAUGH TRACK!!

10 Year Badge

Re: making your own noise dampening mats?

Originally posted by sup3rcarrx8
    Is there a way to make your own sound dampening mat from the foam usually found in boxes? My computer fans are just too unbearable along with the noise level my PSU makes. Thanks.
    The foam seen on the walls in studios is used to absorb sound. The foam found in packing boxes does very little to absorb or dampen sound. I didn't use carpet for fear the carpet fibers might cause damage. Some say cardboard works okay. I'm using some in my system as a duct. I wrapped it in duct tape to give it a little more durability. So, maybe you could use cardboard and wrap it in duct tape? For sound deadening I use the sound deadening sheets I bought from partsexpress.com for my stereo speakers, but I can't say it helps all that much.

A cheap and easy way to help with your sound problem is to modify the surrounding area of your system with some or all of the following: a) put your case on the floor so the fans are not at ear level, b) put it on carpeting or a towel, c) face the fans away from you, d) erect a sound barrier between you and your system, about 1 foot from your system (hang a towel or a blanket over the back of a chair), e) put your system about 1 foot from the corner of the room and hang towels, a curtain, a blanket or carpeting on the walls of that corner, f) put some distance between you and your system.
    Last edited by 1Time; 08-23-03 at 10:46 AM.
    PC1 26% O/C - Quad Q6600 3.24 GHz - 8GB RAM - Win 7 x64
    PC2 Stock - Quad X3440 Xeon 2.53 GHz - 8GB RAM - Win 7 x64

It is impossible to rightly govern these forums when there are rulebreakers. Religion is not allowed here. Thank you. --JoT

"breakin' the law - breakin' the law"