• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making your own noise dampening mats?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Is there a way to make your own sound dampening mat from the foam usually found in boxes? My computer fans are just too unbearable along with the noise level my PSU makes. Thanks.

Won't the carpet kind of wear out and go on the components to short the componetns though? That's what im' afraid of if i use your carpet method Constant. Also Uber, where do you get lead sheets? Are they expensive or even dangerous to handle since it's lead? THanks.

Lead sheet is used as flashing material. you can pick it up at roofing suppliers for pretty cheap. As far as being dangerous... wash your hands when your done handeling it, and obviously don't go chewing on the stuff (don't ask me how I know it's sweet).

sup3rcarrx8 said:
Is there a way to make your own sound dampening mat from the foam usually found in boxes? My computer fans are just too unbearable along with the noise level my PSU makes. Thanks.

The foam seen on the walls in studios is used to absorb sound. The foam found in packing boxes does very little to absorb or dampen sound. I didn't use carpet for fear the carpet fibers might cause damage. Some say cardboard works okay. I'm using some in my system as a duct. I wrapped it in duct tape to give it a little more durability. So, maybe you could use cardboard and wrap it in duct tape? For sound deadening I use the sound deadening sheets I bought from partsexpress.com for my stereo speakers, but I can't say it helps all that much.

A cheap and easy way to help with your sound problem is to modify the surrounding area of your system with some or all of the following: a) put your case on the floor so the fans are not at ear level, b) put it on carpeting or a towel, c) face the fans away from you, d) erect a sound barrier between you and your system, about 1 foot from your system (hang a towel or a blanket over the back of a chair), e) put your system about 1 foot from the corner of the room and hang towels, a curtain, a blanket or carpeting on the walls of that corner, f) put some distance between you and your system.

Last edited:
Back