• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is cpu bruning in.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kieran_d

I seen i few posts that talk about cpu bruning in. What is it?

Also On my duron 750 it says AKCA is this good for overclocking.

P.s I got two IDE cables with my mobo and don't know which is AT/33 and which is AT/66. One of them has 39 pin holes and the other has 40 pin holes, does any one now which is which.

THANKS

Usually the blue colored IDE port is 66 or IDE 1. The cables are backward compabile. The end of the cable is always the Masters.

Pat

I would just guess that the 40-pin cable is the ATA/66, but I really don't know for sure.

CPU burning is the process of stressing the CPU for long periods of time(usually while you're away at work or asleep). This is useful because 1) it tells you if theres a stability issue and 2) it can, in some instances, make a slightly higher overclock possible. Programs like Prime 95, SiSoft's Sandra, Seti@home, Folding@home, Distributed.net's client(RC-5) are all freely downloadable and run the CPU at 100%.

Burning in for the first time, be careful to watch your temps! You may run a little hotter than you're used to.

The connector with 39 holes is to keep you from installing your IDE cable backwards and does not indicate speed. (The red stripe on the cable is the side with pin 1.)
The most noticable difference between ATA33 and ATA66/100 cables is the ATA66/100 cables have 80 wires in the cable versus 40 in the ATA33. So if one of the cables looks like there are more wires that is the ATA66/100 cable. It is possible that both are ATA66/100 or both ATA33.

I was under the impression that only ATA/100 requires the 80 wire cables, and ATA/66 works fine with a 40 conductor one.

No, ATA66 and ATA100 require the 80 connector cable and ATA33 and the old 16Mbps cables are the 40 connector cables. Supposedly the controller can tell which cable is which and steps the speed down to ATA 33 for the 40 wire cables. (don't ask me how)

if it doesn't fit, dun force it.....since the pins can bend /break/get pushed in

i didn't lok at the plug and forced a ide plug to go into my cd rom drive and what happened is that most of the pins were bent and one was pushed in half way.....

Yes, if you install a cable with the plugged hole backwards it will do serious damage to the pins on the motherboard or IDE device. If you have an old IDE drive look and make certain it does not have 40 pins before hooking up a cable with 39 holes. Hope this helps :)

The process of burning in means to stress your CPU for some time..a night or so...Then bump up your FSB a little...do the same again...etc.
This will get you a slightly better overclock result and you might also be able to lower your core voltage a bit..which will result in lower CPU temps...

Back