• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duron 750 at 960 good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!-=sky=-!

read the subject and plz gimme ideas of how to get this thing higher
i can't afford artic silver.....it costs so much in hong kong

setup below:
duron 750 at 960 -->7.5x128-->1.888 vcore
asus a7v mobo
toshiba pc133 ram -7ns 128 mb
quantum fireball lm 30mb hard drive(dun laugh at my 30mb hd plz)
creative infra52x cd rom
hp 9110i 8/4/32 cd writer
FOP 32 with some kinda thermal grease called STARS-360??
panafalo 5200rpm fan

cpu underload temp 64C and idle 58C<--o/c temps
cpu underload temp 62C and idle 56C<--no o/c temps

Your temps are very high. More so than Arctic Silver would help. Have you lapped the heatsink base? Have you reseated it with fresh grease? I have an FOP-32 and with my 600 Duron at 10x100 1.85Vcore, the temps were in the 30s. Is your case temp high?

Hoot

those temps are a bit hot but thats probably the climate

as im in the uk and its always cold and wet

i got a duron 700@910

which as yours is a 750@960 is the same increase so i think you did pritty well as 600 ares upposed to overclock much better than 700 and 750 try keeping it cooler and have you used rainit only works on some amds but its worth a try

Hoot (Apr 19, 2001 10:35 a.m.):
Your temps are very high. More so than Arctic Silver would help. Have you lapped the heatsink base? Have you reseated it with fresh grease? I have an FOP-32 and with my 600 Duron at 10x100 1.85Vcore, the temps were in the 30s. Is your case temp high?

Hoot

artic silver costs like 80$ hkd which is around 10$ us.........and how do u lap hsf? i did put on some freash grease.....and my case temp is quite high
mobo temp at 38C.......b/c i have a mid tower....and it's like cramed inside

Forget Arctic silver for the moment. With a case temp of 38C and CPU of 64C at 51W, that is .51c/w and the FOP-32 is capable of better than that. Lapping involves lightly sanding the base of the HS to remove surface imperfections and increase surface contact area with the core. There are many arcticle on doing it. Once lapped, the regular white HS grease should be fine. You should be able to achieve a CPU temp of about 50-55C with the FOP-32 in a 38C system temp. You need to get the system temp down with better circulation or lower room temps.

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 19, 2001 10:50 a.m.):
Forget Arctic silver for the moment. With a case temp of 38C and CPU of 64C at 51W, that is .51c/w and the FOP-32 is capable of better than that. Lapping involves lightly sanding the base of the HS to remove surface imperfections and increase surface contact area with the core. There are many arcticle on doing it. Once lapped, the regular white HS grease should be fine. You should be able to achieve a CPU temp of about 50-55C with the FOP-32 in a 38C system temp. You need to get the system temp down with better circulation or lower room temps.

Hoot

well/......i already taken off the top of the case.......

but i have no fan to suck the air out from the top.......
i only have the panaflo fan suckin air into the case
i jus taken off the hsf....noticed that the thermal grease bascially melted.......or evaporated....either one b/c most of it is gone.....and when i take off the hsf....the grease kinda of like glued the heatsink with the cpu core.......just reapplied grease........same temps.....

and i live in hong kong which is like hot and humid...so i can't really help it.....and whenever i use the comp i always turn a fan on.......no air conditioning....too poor....haha

I might have understood-but if all you have is 1 fan blowing in, then youd be better off having it suck out! And run your computer with the case open-take the side off. I have a 120 blowing in and an 60, and a 90 sucking out, with a GORB-case open works fine-regular thermal grease. You definately need to LAP the HSF-go to www.spodesabode.com and look around-sand the HSF with like 400 grit, then 800 grit , then 1500to2000 grit-it should have a MIRROR finish-it WILL drop your temps-also try unsing Rain/CPU idle/Waterfall-some program to cool your cpu during idle periods

LikuidFusion (Apr 20, 2001 08:03 a.m.):
also try unsing Rain/CPU idle/Waterfall-some program to cool your cpu during idle periods

Wasn't there an article on the frontpage that says that these idle cooling progies dont work on KT133 and 133A?

SickBoy

true.....i didn't read the article but cooling programs dun work for me for some reason b/c asus probe comes with a cooling program too.......i turned it on but no differenece

After building several DURONS on ASUS boards, both the A7V and the A7V133, I would be concerned about the temps in the 60's, even after taking into account the inaccurate readings of the ASUS Probe, reported to be as much as 10C higher than actual. I've used the FOP32 and maintained the CPU temps no higher than 57 / 58C.

The 128MHz FSB setting has me a bit surprised though, I haven't seen anybody be able to get much over 110MHz on an A7V, are you sure it's not an A7V133?

i'm chasing you arounf the forums this morning, frank! :)

skyline, i think that changing your nick to "impreza_wrx_gtr" would help your karma, thereby not affecting your oc at all, but making you a better person for supporting a better car. hehehe :)

seriously, though, like many have said before, get your temps down. i also live in a hot climate, and really struggled with cooling for a long time, and the unattainable temps that people in canada, the us and the uk post. we've got to accept that our temps are going to be higher. but you can do something about it. i've found that even with high ambient temps, strong airflow through the case is vital if you're aircooling. my temps will rise by literally 7-10C if i switch off my case fans and just run with the side off. i highly recommend getting a couple of blowholes in the bottom of your case, sucking into the case, and then one or two at the top blowing out. it will dramatically lower your temps.

your overclock is not bad at all, though. just get the temps down... good luck! :)

Back