• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC this 1.33

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MsNath

Ok I'm going to give this AVIA 1.33 a fair shake.

At the moment it idles around 38c with my PAL6035 and so far I have seen it hit 50c. What is to hot for this chip?

I'm thinking 50c is alread preaty hot do I have much room to play with here?

I'm sure someone who actually knows something will have better advice, but I'm feeling pretty talkative tonight.
Have you checked to make sure the heatsink is seated correctly? Using thermal paste? That seems way to high to me from what I've read. I think the low to mid 40's is about as high as you want to go. Might try lapping the Heatsink if its not already. Excellent lapping article from cooling link on the front page. Also youv'e probably already browsed the cooling forum?
Good luck! :)

Yep its sitting nice and level, I took out the MB to install the HSF just to make sure.

That seems a little hot. Mine is watercooled and maxes out at about 44C after a few hours of Prime95. When I first tried it out with air cooling, it idled at about 38C, but that was with a cheesy Coolermaster HSF. Of course these chips do run hot, and AMD states that they can run safely up to around 90C, but who wants to try that. You might want to consider reseating your HSF again, because the Alpha should produce better cooling than that.

I had an AVIA 1200 266fsb chip that went to 1400 without even breakin a sweat. There was plenty more to be had out of it. I crushed it before I could go any higher but it was a good chip while it lasted. I think yours will be a good O/C'r as well.

Ok I reset the HSF and my temps drop a fair bit. Some how the majority of my AS rubbed off the die on my first install.

So far I'm at 11.5 x 133 for 1529mhz But MBM is showing me at 1535MHZ anyways Im over 1500 if I hit 1600 I will be more than happy.

I wanted to go 11.5 x 140 but my system doesn't like the high FSBs.

So far this is what I have got.
Though I am hoping to hit 1600. If only my RAM/ Video ect would handle more than 133fsb

[img="[URL]http://plaza.powersurfr.com/MsNath/home/1579A.jpg[/URL]"]description[/url]

[img="[URL]http://plaza.powersurfr.com/MsNath/home/1579b.jpg[/URL]"]description[/url]

Wow!! it's insane!! never thought Tbird can went that far!! it really drives me crazy....

To give you an Idea of really how fast this chip is. Consider this. In Germany last week using a VapoChill they OCed a P4 to 2GHZ. When they benched the Chip at 2Ghz it scored 3722 MIPS I'm hitting 4430MIPS.

OK I seem to have maxed out at 1579. I have throttled back to 1575Mhz. I get lock ups at anything higher than 11.5 or 136FSB. My ram was set to the lowest default settings and I was still getting errors. I have now optimized the ram and set it to 4way cas2 yada yada. The system is still stable. This tells me my limit isn’t the ram. I believe it is my graphics card. Im running a dirt cheap generic Gforce2 MX. I keep holding out for the arrival of the Gforce3 with the hopes that the card I want, A Gforce2 DDR will drop to a more reasonable price…

I have run a Gforce2 MX at 160fsb with no problems on an Asus CUSL2-C, that is quite a bit over spec. I also have a Abit KT7A-R and the board just doesn't like going over 136fsb unless I raise the I/O voltage. 3.5v gets me 140fsb and 3.6v 145fsb. You may want to give this a shot to rule out the mobo. Also others have had this problem I think it was Hoot that just RMA'd his KT7A-R for the same prob.

Fiz (Apr 20, 2001 07:57 a.m.):
How did you get a 902MHz fsb at a mult of 1.75 on cpuid? Nontheless, nice OC!! :)

Ya I noticed that. I have no clue why it says that but the bios and MBM all give the same CPU speed...

ken257 (Apr 20, 2001 04:12 a.m.):
I have run a Gforce2 MX at 160fsb with no problems on an Asus CUSL2-C, that is quite a bit over spec. I also have a Abit KT7A-R and the board just doesn't like going over 136fsb unless I raise the I/O voltage. 3.5v gets me 140fsb and 3.6v 145fsb. You may want to give this a shot to rule out the mobo. Also others have had this problem I think it was Hoot that just RMA'd his KT7A-R for the same prob.

This is a Graphic Force Gforce card I do mean cheap. The I/O is cranked up to 3.8 Im actually kinda worried about that. And still I can't get much over 133fsb.

MsNath, Great job!! That puppy is really fast, I am a bit jealous. About your video cardslowing you down, try replaceing that stock fan w/ a Blue Orb and some thermal adheshive. That helped my card and system alot.
Once again great job.

Ambient temp was fairly cool around 10c. I had the window open during testing do to the large heat build up with multiple restarts.

The window is now closed and the ambient temp is up around 29c with the CPU sitting at 35 idle. I had to roll back the OC to under 1500 for maximum Stability. So that was a bit disappointing.

Im thinking about water cooling so I can maintain those higher scores...

MsNath (Apr 20, 2001 09:16 a.m.):
Ambient temp was fairly cool around 10c. I had the window open during testing do to the large heat build up with multiple restarts.

The window is now closed and the ambient temp is up around 29c with the CPU sitting at 35 idle. I had to roll back the OC to under 1500 for maximum Stability. So that was a bit disappointing.

Im thinking about water cooling so I can maintain those higher scores...

I figured you were taking advantage of your temp's up there :) If you ever pull the Alpha off I'd be interested in knowing what the chip code is.

Back