• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding ethics.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

alot of us have rules that we follow while folding. i'm not talking about borging with out people knowing. i mean some have certain rules for themselves on who they won't touch and why.

i was curious as to how many of you out there have a code you go by.

personally. i won't build a machine solely for folding. i'll borg any existing machine or create something out of spare parts but i won't order anything and create something solely for folding. in my opinion folding is for machines that are already in use.

i brought this up because i'm thinking about contradicting myself and building a 4 layer dualie farm.

Not sure how I see this having anything to do with ethics? Its not hurting (in fact it is helping) people to fold.I could see if there was some big prize at stake or something but in the end this is about helping a research project more than anything else.

I'm sorta confused too... how is folding a moral issue?

I have 2 PCs at home folding, but the other 28 are machines sitting at work 'benchmarking' =p.

I have five machines here built to fold only, plus the main which folds on spare cycles. Stanford needs cpu cycles, I give them cycles. I won't fold without permission, but other than that I do whatever I can to get more cycles, be it building, borging, recruiting or whatever.

I agree with the above.

What is wrong with building machines to fold? Are you a minimilist? Thats half the fun of building a machine, knowing it will join the "farm".

cp

I have to agree with everyone else. Folding is for a good cause. What better use of a rig then folding. I say go for it and build the farm. You will enjoy the process and who knows a cure may be around the corner.

If you have the time and money to afford a rig for folding only then why not do that. Personally, I don't have the money to have a folding only machine right now, but I used to and when I build computers for myself and my family I have folding in mind. Every computer I own has folding on it and always will. I will borg and recruit, whatever it takes. Its a great cause and I think rigs should be dedicated for just folding.

Matt

All of my farm rigs are built out of old parts, but I wouldn't be against building some rigs for folding only. I agree with everyone else: Stanford needs the cycles for a research project.

:edit:

I rambled on about something that didn't matter. What does matter is that you fold how, when, where, and with what that makes you comfortable. There are several people who have it on one rig and that's all they'll ever do. I think that's just as admirable as guys like Plext or DGROMS.

Fold what you want. I put it on anything I can get my hands and made a decision a year ago that I wanted to build a farm so I did.

Do what you can afford, put up with (farms are little heaters and mine added $30 to my electric bill), and you'll be A-Ok with us.

Wedo

Last edited:
emericanchaos, where were you going with that? I'm not sure you clarified/specified your thought....

I fold because:
a) It's for a good cause - I work in healthcare so that's a plus:)
b) For some extremely demented reason I enjoy hanging with you all;)
c) Ok I admit it, I do luv competition.

No, I'm not gonna strip the bank accounts but hey, if you *can* do it, why not?

Ps. My rule #1, Don't break the law.
PPs. My rule #2 Don't hurt anyone, including yourself.

ok maybe those were in the wrong order.

Last edited:
I have a couple old Dells. As far as I'm concerned, they can just fold 24/7. I can't overclock them, so they aren't much fun to play on. One is my ftp server, but I'm not public atm.

I think you guys are taking enericanchaos' post to be a some sort of ethical code on folding while it was merely his opinion.

There is nothing wrong with building a rig just for folding. Its your money, spend it as you wish. I, personally, doubt Ill ever do it simply because I think my money can be better spend elsewhere. That may seem selfish, but then again, if your sole motivation was to help humanity, building a folding rig is hardly the most efficient way to go about it. Again, this is my personal opinion. I think building a yatta is loads better than building a hot rod. I dont look down on people who do either. Its just not for me.

I justify it by thinking that MAYBE... just MAYBE, Stanford's research will pay out to provide for some type of cure... some small breakthrough... something to counteract the problems that their target ailments are causing. Maybe all the work we folders do will make some small difference in the world. My computers wouldn't be doing anything right now... they would simply sit at home wasting a lot of processing power. That processing power COULD be put to a better use...

Even if there is NO breakthrough or even minor impact to come out of this, at least we tried =p. We recognized a good idea, and helped it blossom. If the Stanford research falls flat on its face, at least team 32 can say that they honestly made an effort. For those of us that spend a few dollars MORE than other folders... that doesn't make us better nor does it make us unethical. It's simply that we had the means to provide more crunching power. Be it the competitive edge, or the honest desire to make a change, the means are justified.

LOL!

Let's admit it to, most(not all) of us are guys, and we all know how competative men are.:p

cp

no guys i didn't mean there's something bad about folding. my issue is that there's alot of people that can't afford computers and i feel like an *** building top end machines to do nothing but sit in a closet crunching numbers.

as was said before i'm not bagging on anyone for doing it. i'm just saying that some people have a personal code as to how they attain points. i have nothing against the cause. i just don't feel right about building machines with xp1700's when alot of people are still using P3's.

emericanchaos said:

i just don't feel right about building machines with xp1700's when alot of people are still using P3's.

1700's? I used 2100's and nik used 2400's. :D

"If you build it, they will fold"

Wedo

emericanchaos said:
. i just don't feel right about building machines with xp1700's when alot of people are still using P3's.

Alright. In order to ease your conscience just forward those 1700's over to me. Problem solved:D

Back