• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding ethics.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sort of like when you didn't finish your turnips as a 9 year-old and you mom tried to pull the "Starving children in Ethiopia would die for that turnip!" line on you?

Don't waste that xp2400! There is still some poor soul out there happily surfing the internet on his 486sx33 with a 9600 modem! Waste not, want not!

Most of you that know me, know that I take folding very personally. My 2 year old has a protein disorder, nothing serious, she is happy, normal and healthy. Anyway, when I got the call from her doctor when she was 4 days old telling me that she had failed one of her newborn screening tests, I freaked. At that moment, I became a folding fanatic. If I could afford 1000 P4 3.2's I would buy them all JUST TO FOLD. It is not about points (although it is fun) it is about the research and I will do everything in my power to build, borg and recruit for the cause. The ONLY rule of mine is that I will NOT install FAH on a machine without permission, period.

i guess my question is a bit off then. i remember someone saying that they wanted to do everything on their own before they borged anyone and i have a thing about recycling old machines instead of thinking they're obsolete because they don't show me things as fast as my up to date system does.

oh well in anycase i'm researching a dualie farm with 1700's because those are about the cheapest CPU i would want to use. one may be a 1900 though because i already have one of those. just have to find an affordable board.

if you figure about 1000PPW per layer times 4 layers. that's orange right there. plus my already 1400PPW. it's just the power:size ratio i'm looking for.

There's almost nothing wrong with folding! Even borging people's comps unknowingly is fine since they only reason they wouldn't fold is ignorance. It is not detrimental to their PC in any way.

if the fact that someone can't afford a computer keeps you from building one then just go out and give away computers to poor people (=

seriously though, (and i'm hardly ever serious)
my grandmother died last year... we were very close... and it was due to rare disease called amyloidosis. it's along the lines of alzheimers and cancer (sort of a mixture, i guess) and as soon as I found out about F@H i started up and haven't stopped since... i grab all the mhz and ghz i can in the hopes that some other family doesn't have to lose a loved one to a terrible disease.

it doesn't bother me that I may build a system merely to fold not only because the cause is good but because it's my hard earned money and I have a right to do with it what i please. ;)

The main reason that I build complete machines is that there is always the possibility that I might have to liquidate one of them and I can get more for a complete one than just parts and I can sell it faster. I'm close to making retirement decisions and I won't be able to move them farm. In two weeks aI can download this whole farm for a good chunck of change. It's like money in the bank. Meanwhile Stanford can do their thing to their hearts content. One thing is for sure. If I do get rid of them to make a move I'll be rebuilding as soon as possible.

I too like complete machines. You can sell them if you need to, and I like being able to put them anywhere.

cp

Back